Wednesday, April 25, 2012


Bits n Pieces
Did you hear Florida International hired a replacement coach for Isiah Thomas? They hired Richard Pitino, not the father they hired the son. The younger Pitino has served as an assistant coach for his dad.

Hornets point guard Eric Gordon's brother has been offered a scholarship by Indiana? Eron must wait a few years before he can utilize the offer. You see Eron's a 6-1 guard who is about to complete his 8th grade year.

Would it surprise if I told you 6-6 Shabazz Muhammad might play the two rather than three at UCLA? The team has a number of small forwards incoming or in-place already. This is certainly not yet confirmed just something to think about.

I apologize earlier information I provided was incorrect. I read (and I'm unsure of the source) a player declaring for the NBA draft could not return to college. Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum has withdrawn his name and will return to school. Of course if an agent is hired a player is automatically ruled ineligible.

How about the heated exchange between Nets broadcaster Ian Eagle and analyst Mike Fratello. Were the two really arguing with one another during the broadcast? I'm sure you can locate it on YouTube, listen and make your own judgment.

Thought is was an anomaly Kentucky had 5 players drafted in 2010? It just might happen again this year with a slight difference. The 2010 draft consisted of 5 Wildcat players some starters and some reserves. This year it's another 5 players but this time all starters from the NCAA championship team.

The NBA has spoken, Ron Artest will sit for 7 games. I'm okay with the punishment but view might be the exception. I've read various fan comments, "ban him for the playoffs, sit him down for the year next season." One fans solution, "give him a lifetime ban."

I promised myself
Every time I make plans to not write anymore Barclays stories not related to basketball one more comes along. The $1 billion dollar future home of the Nets has certainly provided it's share of controversy and weird stories. Just when I think nothing else could occur along comes another story that causes me to say "are they really serious?" A group of residents opposed to the arena are attempting to fight the arena's liquor license, you read that correctly they are trying to keep the arena from gaining it's liquor license. Is there an arena or stadium anywhere in the nation that doesn't sell alcoholic beverages? I'll answer my own question I doubt it although particular alcoholic beverages might not be available in all venues. "Opponents say they understand that reality, but object to the permit on the grounds that neither arena operators nor their food service providers, Levy Restaurants, have presented any evidence that they will be able to handle the sheer quantity of drunk customers as they leave events at the 18,000-seat arena. “It’s premature for them to get community board support for a liquor license when they haven’t even made public any plans for security or crowd control of 18,000 people,” said Gib Veconi of the Prospect Heights Neighborhood Development Council and a Prospect Heights resident. “They haven’t shown how they can protect quality of life for the neighbors." The article even points out alcohol is sold in Energy Solutions Arena home of the Utah Jazz, I will allow you to discuss this subject amongst yourselves. You decide if you think the residents surrounding the Barclays Center claim is valid or just one more attempt to stop progress. One more note, the Board of Governors voted last week to approve the move to Brooklyn, in addition the name change from New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn Nets. Although Barclays is a mult-use arena varying types of events are planned for future dates. Nets basketball would take up the majority of dates however in an unusual occurrence the first athletic event held will not be a basketball game. The New York Islanders are scheduled to play a pre-season game in the building.
(fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/arena)

Don't tell what he can't do
Why must I always ride to the rescue of Pau Gasol? I continued to read comments from fans informing us what he can't do, rarely do they focus on those parts of his game that standout. I always felt I gave my employer the maximum effort, I never thought I was the smartest or even the most innovated employee but I was
solid and productive. You've heard the complaints, "he's not physical enough or why doesn't he play inside more or why isn't he more aggressive?" Rather then inform you what Gasol cannot do how about focusing on those things he does well. The NBA has changed in regard to 7-footers a number no longer play inside or physical Gasol's not the only one. The numbers again, 17.3 points per game 10.5 rebounds .506 from the floor. Power forwards generally are not expert distributors of the ball but that's an area Gasol really excels, his 3.4 assists per game rank him behind only one NBA power forward. By know you have come to the conclusion "he's only defending him (Gasol) because he plays for the Lakers." That statement is only partially correct, my question why in the world would you continue to criticize a player who is productive? This 7-footer "messed around and got a triple-double" against the Warriors last Wednesday, 22 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists.

Troll
Although I'd seen the term "troll" applied often I wasn't sure of the definition until recently. If you unsure as I once was I'll share a couple of sentences from Wikipedia that provide definition. "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum." Last week Mizzou announced top recruiter Isaac Chew was headed to serve as an assistant coach for Illinois, it brought this email response to the Kansas City Star; "Chew sees that the SEC is a #@&** basketball conference no one cares about and will be hard to recruit to.. The Big 10 is a better conference and he will have a better future there. . After only one year he must of had problems with the way Haith coaches/recruits. Smart move to get out now before Haith destroys MIZ - ZERO like he did at Miami." What is more amazing to me this troll took time to sit down and dream up these various scenarios, the guy certainly has no life if this is all he has time to do. The only one I will address is the one dealing with "he had problems with Haith." Chew was Mizzou's chief recruiter but not the lead assistant coach, at Illinois he will be the lead. Chew is a Chicago native therefore a partial explanation for his move to Illinois. Chew was part of Haith's staff because of his Kansas City connections, he played ball at Avila University. In addition at one point in his career Chew coached one of the Kansas City area AAU teams, KC Pump N Run. I'm passionate about my writing, I'm passionate about my teams. I'm as accurate as possible with the facts as I perceive them. I refuse to "invent" stories for you or anyone.


Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/11/3548646/mu-hoops-assistant-chew-to-join.html