Wednesday, September 12, 2012


The Nets site on nba.com reads; “FIRST HOME GAME SINCE 1957. “ Of course that’s the year the Dodgers packed and headed west to Los Angeles. A construction cam has allowed me (and others) to follow the building progress of the Barclays Center. The only problem construction cams are not often placed in the interior portion of a building. The public often must wait for occasional photos to be exhibited.  The Nets site contains 11 photos and a 45 second video of the interior. Basketball will begin October 15th with a pre-season game. The Nets will host the Wizards for the inauguration of NBA basketball at Barclays Center on that date. (nba.com)

Years ago I was employed by one of the cable systems serving the KC metro, at the time the company didn’t offer NFL Network. I remember hearing almost daily complaints before and during football season; “when are you going to offer the NFL Network?” That was nearly four years ago and the network is still unavailable. NBA fans certainly don’t share that concern in fact I’ve read comments almost opposite of those following the NFL. The latest figures I uncovered leave many to the conclusion there might be too many NBA games available. I found it interesting this from Wikipedia; “despite the problems in the early-to-mid-2000s, the NBA's regular season ratings average was (and is) on par with Major League Baseball’s, and ratings for the finals continue to outdraw competing events that occur during the same month, such as golf's U.S. Open and the Stanley Cup Finals. Since 2007, NBA ratings have steadily risen, thanks to the resurgence of nationally recognized NBA teams, their star power, and their annual presence in the NBA Finals.”

ESPN telecasts 90 regular season games with an additional 15 available on ABC. The TNT Network telecasts another 40+ games annually. The network owned NBA TV Network has continued to increase its number of broadcasts each season. 90 games are now available on the network; NBA TV unlike the other networks employs no broadcasters but picks up the feed of the home team. The NBA has an equivalent to the NFL Network, NBA League Pass. League Pass is a pay-per-view option available to a number of cable and satellite systems, it allows fans to view an entire season’s worth of NBA games. A regular season evening’s worth of games could begin at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time, west coast games begin at 10:00 or 10:30 p.m. Eastern Time Zone. The last area to mention is League Pass Broadband, the NBA on your desktop computer. This has been especially fruitful for the growing world-wide audience of the NBA. As for the NFL Network, it’s now nearly four years later and it’s still unavailable. (Wikipedia)

Laker haters this is an advance warning you can skip this; as for those who are neutral or fans this statement by me; former Lakers remain Lakers into infinity. That was the case for Shaquille O’ Neal, despite the Shaq/Kobe feud and all the drama I kept my number 34 jersey. I never trashed it or stored it away; it remained prominently displayed prior to my man-cave makeover. Because I retained the jersey I can now display it along with my other Laker stuff. The Bynum jersey will be replaced by a Steve Nash’s number 10 jersey. As for the Bynum jersey I’ll store it away in the back of the closet. He’ll probably never return to the Lakers but unlike Shaq his number will never hang on the wall at Staples Center. 

The next purchase to be added to my man-cave is Dwight Howard’s number 12. I know I made several unkind statements about him during the drama of “Dwightmare.” You never heard me state he couldn’t play, I just felt and still do Bynum has offensive skills Dwight does not possess. The report (if true) that he’ll work with Kareem Abdul Jabbar is good. Any offense additions he could tutor Dwight in would be a good thing. I’ve always admired his skill on the court the same for Steve Nash, never swift of foot always running the break with the Mavs or Suns. As for his shot I never thought much of his shooting until he delivered a 3-pointer at a critical stage of a game. All the bullet pinpoint passes I’ve seen him deliver it sure will be great they will now go to Kobe, Howard, Gasol or Metta.