Friday, March 28, 2014

I agree--surprised you
Mavs owner Mark Cuban ventured into a non-basketball issue. This time I agree with several points he raised. Cuban said; “the NFL is 10 years from imploding.” He went on to detail he believed greed of the owners was key. There is no intent on my part to detail the entire report, is Cuban that far off base?  It should be noted many in the NFL community were swift in defending their sport.  Will the sport implode as Cuban suggests?  I doubt it will implode but I could foresee a future with a smaller pool of players.  The concussion issue which has been in the news in recent months.  In addition the violence issue that has sometimes been exhibited by a number of present and former NFL players. 

A retied member of the Kansas City Chiefs was forced to sell his home because he could no longer climb the stairs to the second floor.  I witnessed video of the former Oilers running back Earl Campbell, he's 58-years of age and utilizes a walker.  I have no evidence to back up this statement but its my belief the NFL might suffer a greater proportions of devastating iinjuries than any other sport.  A smaller number of elementary age boys playing Pop Warner football translates to a smaller number playing in high school.  Simply stating the NFL will not suffer is arrogant on the the leagues part.  I might remind those inside the NFL once upon a time baseball and heavyweight boxing dominated the sports world in the U.S.  Don’t fool yourself NFL you are not omnipotent, fans could find another sport. 

New Zealand
I don’t know a great deal about New Zealand. I can locate the nation of a world globe, in addition I was aware actors Russell Crowe, Lucy Lawless are from New Zealand. Unlike its number to west Australia has produced a number of collegiate and NBA players. Dante Exum from Melbourne Australia is a likely top 5 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft. Steven Adams is but the fourth athlete from New Zealand to play in the NBA.

The numbers posted by Adams were only average the one year he spent at Pitt but he decided he was ready for the NBA. The fact that he stood 7 feet tall and weighed 255 pounds certainly aided his effort to play in the NBA. Adams would become the 12th pick in the first round in the 2013 draft selected by the Thunder. Adams may never be more than a reserve player but his work ethic provides us proof of his desire to play basketball at the highest level.

“Trading Places”
This is no Eddie Murphy-Dan Ackroyd movie; these guys traded places for real.  Coming into the collegiate season the potential NBA ability of 6-5 Wayne Selden exceeded that of Joel Embiid. You see Selden arrived at Kansas in the fall of 2013 as a 5-star athlete and the number 12 prospect in the Class of 2013. The talent he exhibited in high school and his
PO-TEN-TIAL led several mock draft sites to consider him a one and done player.

After a roller coaster freshman season he announced a return to Kansas for his sophomore year. Two mock sites I regularly consult have removed Selden’s name from its list of first and second round picks. As for teammate Joel Embiid he was number 25 on Rivals, depending on which NBA mock draft you might check Embiid is now listed as the possible one through five pick.

She didn’t appreciate my humor 
I’ve heard more than my share of Laker-Mizzou jokes this season, neither team played at the level fans hoped. I’ve taken their comments good naturally smiling and laughing along with them. My wife’s cousin a pseudo Kansas fan called me last Christmas if you remember the Heat was pummeling the Lakers. She never ever calls me to discuss basketball; she had a big time laugh at my expense. Tuesday (after Sundays Kansas loss) my wife was expecting a visit to discuss business of the club the two belonged. Marsha arrived I said “hello” and then stated; “what do I do with my Kansas Final Four tee shirt?” Needless to say she didn’t appreciate my humor. I believe she might be a little more hesitant next time discussing Laker or Mizzou basketball.     

“The rich keep getting richer”
A number of schools can recruit successfully throughout the nation and world, Duke University one in the number. Coach K. and Duke received the first 2015 commitment. Headed to Durham is 5-star prospect Luke Kennard a 6-5 180 pound guard, Rivals list Kennard as the number 16 prospect in the Class of 2015. Kennard is from Franklin Ohio about 50 miles north of Cincinnati.