Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dr. Jack
A sports news bulletin early Monday morning announced Dr. Jack Ramsey had died at age 89. For your information in this instance the doctor attached to his name was not a nickname, he actually held a PhD. Ramsey will forever be remembered by Blazer fans, he coached the 1977 NBA Championship team the only in Portland’s history. After a successful college career at St. Joseph’s he coached three other NBA teams besides the Blazers. Younger people most likely associate Ramsey’s name with the NBA on television and radio as a game analyst. Dr. Jack was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992, R.I.P.

Mizzou coach
I’m initiating this story by admitting I was wrong----I had no clue Mizzou would hire Kim Anderson. I formulated my belief since Anderson was connected to Norm Stewart having played for the former Mizzou coach. Rumors have circulated for years hostility existed between AD Mike Alden and Coach Norm Stewart, real or imagined they were there. Another issue Central Missouri basketball is a Division II program, we can count on one hand the number of successful coaches that have moved from D-II to D-I basketball. As for Anderson’s career coaching record it’s fine however it was Division II basketball. As for the recruiting question can Anderson make the transition competing against Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky or UCLA for athletes? Can Anderson walk into the family room of a California or Texas kid and convince him Mizzou is the best offering?

These and other questions will only be answered in time. Mizzou’s roster is comprised of players Anderson didn’t recruit; there are two or three scholarships available so he could add a few athletes of his choosing to the roster immediately. Bottom line the Anderson hire is a safe one on several levels. Anderson arrives with no baggage (Ben Howland, Tim Floyd) or background questions (Frank Haith). In addition this becomes a cheap hire compared to several high profile candidates (Michael White, Louisiana Tech) available. Finally comes word Greg Marshall’s Wichita State was contacted. From Marshall's perspective the timing was right not the money---surprise. Sports talk radio in Kansas City appears to love the Anderson hire; I remain a faithful Mizzou fan however I will reserve judgment. Consider the fact “I’m from Missouri you’ve got to show me.”

Can we say free fall
Question, who’s fallen furthest this year to date the sky diver or the Indiana Pacers? I realize many will not approve of my humor however I pose the question because nobody not even Frank Vogel can figure out exactly what’s wrong with the Pacers. This might appear I’m trashing the Hawks far from it, I believe the Hawks are a very good team. Most of the experts believed the Pacers to be the better team; they were supposed to win this series.

A friend asked me recently what I thought of the Pacers. I said; “In January I would have said the Pacers were the best team in the NBA now I don‘t know.” I suppose the staunchest Pacer fan would not disagree with me at this point. They could still win this series but they certainly must show more than what we witnessed to date. Roy Hibbert and I are the same height, not really he’s 7-2 but is rebounding and shooting as if he’s 5-7 (my height).

We use the term too frequently
My daughter has heard me express negative comments about Stephen A. Smith. I think she believes (incorrectly) I don’t like Smith which is not the case. I have difficulties with several opinions he expresses but I don‘t dislike him. Recently actor Michael Rapaport and long-time NBA fan along with Skip Bayless bested Stephen A Smith on ESPN First Take. Smith is often guilty of attaching “super-star” to a number of very good athletes--in this instance the discussion centered on the Clippers Chris Paul.

The Rappaport-Bayless tag team debated Smith; they posed the question to Smith--”what has he (Paul) won?” In fairness to Paul he’s played on some poor teams in his New Orleans days. No argument here Paul is the best point guard in the NBA currently, that doesn‘t necessarily equate to super star status. Kevin Durant’s name also came up in the discussion, in his defense we can argue he’s played for an NBA Championship. We can debate if Durant can be elevated to star status; I’ve argued previously winning a championship is not the only consideration to consider however it enters into every discussion