Wednesday, December 17, 2014

There is a distinction between lack of talent and lack of effort!
----------Larry Laker

Exceptional
I refuse to blow this out of proposition but his game was certainly noteworthy. I’m referring to the double-double of Duke’s Jahlil Ofakor. Sure it was Duke against Elon University (NC) however 25 points with 20 rebounds are outstanding at any level. Interesting statement made by the color commentator at a point in the game. I’m paraphrasing his comment; “Okafor is one of those guys in college because the NBA does not draft high school players. It has nothing to do with academics he’s (Okafor) ready to play in the NBA.”

Just a belief
The temperature in my Man Cave rises significantly anytime ESPN’s First Take is on. My wife did not adjust the thermostat and neither have I, there appears to be no explanation for the increase in the heat except. Maybe it’s all the “hot air” Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are dispensing, I could be wrong though.

Give him the props due
32,310 points and counting, Kobe has now moved past Michael Jordan and has become the NBA’s 3rd all time leading scorer. For those who claim Kobe is only a shooter or shoots too much consider this additional tidbit. Kobe is the only player in NBA history to score 30,000 points and dish out 6,000 assists. One more detail to consider he did not become a full-time starter until his 3rd year with the Lakers. Congrats to Kobe Bean Bryant.

Bits n Pieces
We make this statement with conviction, Pau Gasol alongside Joakim Noah provides the Bulls the best passing big man combo in the NBA. We’ve had numerous opportunities over the years to witness 7-0 power forward Gasol while he was a member of the Grizzlies and later the Lakers. 6-11 center Noah’s passing skills have been evident since his arrival in the NBA 7 years ago. The numbers don’t lie, over the course of their careers Gasol’s assist numbers are 3.3 while Noah is at 2.7.

The Kansas City Star headline could have read; “Local kid signs huge contract.” The headline never was run, allow me to explain. Alec Burks grew up in the Kansas City metro attending suburban Grandview High School. He headed west to The University of Colorado to play basketball and from there to the NBA Jazz. I haven’t had much of an opportunity to see him play in the NBA however management must be satisfied with his play. The Jazz signed the 6-6 guard to a 4 year $42 million dollar contract.

I’ve made a decision; hopefully I won’t retreat from this position. On more than one occasion I’ve mentioned the many media types who upset me with their commentary. I believe (could be wrong) it’s an attempt on their part to boost ratings. They become entertainers rather than expressing true opinions. I’m not going to name the individuals in question you know most of them.

While viewing the George Washington-Seton Hall game the play by play announcer provided the lineup, playing for George Washington was the name Yuta Watanbe. I researched the name and uncovered the 6-8 193 pound Watanbe (according to George Washington) is the third Japanese born NCAA I basketball player in history.

Caught up in the numbers
Ottawa Kansas is about 54 miles from downtown Kansas City Missouri. Too far to be considered metro however near enough for news and sports coverage. Several years ago a highly touted player emerged from Ottawa High School named Semi Ojeleye. This 6-8 230 pound talent went on to set the Kansas State High School scoring record. I was never able to see him play in person although I managed to see several games telecast by the local sports channel here.

Coach K. would eventually make his way to Ottawa and Ojeleye was on his way to Durham. Later he would be caught in the numbers first it was Jabari Parker and then others. He played little his freshman year and has now announced he’s transferring from Duke. As I have often stated I have no ability to spot talent but I believe this young man can play he just needs the opportunity to demonstrate his talent which it appears was somewhat non existent at Duke. I’m anxious to discover his destination.