Thursday, March 5, 2015

There is a distinction between lack of talent and lack of effort!
-------Larry Laker

I’m curious
It was announced another potential buyer indicated a desire to purchase the Hawks. By my count this is either the third or fourth group/individual in the mix. I have one question why do I continue to read “nobody is watching the NBA.” I can’t speak for you but I certainly wouldn’t spend my finances on something not beneficial to me or my family. Might I remind you what Steve Ballmer paid for the Clippers last year? In addition there were at least two other bidding for that franchise? Next time you read something from a writer regarding the NBA that doesn’t make sense chances are it was written by a hater.

They didn’t lose
I heard the statement once again last week, “Kentucky needs to lose a game before the NCAA tourney.” This is one of the invalid 99 reasons we might hear; “it will relieve the pressure on them.” My response would Isn’t Kentucky and any other team under pressure to win? Second to that I’ve never believed there was such a thing as a good loss. I guess after the close win by Kentucky over Georgia will revive the conversation once again.

What I believe
Austin Rivers must prove to me (and maybe others) he can play successfully at this level. I’m borrowing this from ESPN’s Tony Kornheiser “Rivers has long had a sense of entitlement.”

Princeton women belong in the same conversation with the Kentucky men’s team.  The team is 27-0 and 11-0 in the Ivy League. I apologize ladies for overlooking your stellar record thus far.

Despite being fired by the Nuggets Brian Shaw CAN coach. He spent time as an assistant sitting next to Phil Jackson and Frank Vogel. He’s ol skool which causes a conflict with many of today’s athletes. In addition NBA coaches are not given adequate time to re-brand a team.

Despite what many skeptics believe I still think the regular college season is important. A number of conferences have post-season tourneys allowing a 4th or 5th place team to win the conference. Wonder how many 3rd or 4th NCAA champions have accomplished the feat----just wondering.

Bits n Pieces
This is not surprising news Ray Allen ain’t playing for anybody this season. Many believed he might return to action as a member of the Cavs. No amount of convincing by LeBron could budge Allen off the couch.

After successful surgery the Bulls announced Derrick Rose will be out 4-6 weeks. That’s time enough for him to return near the end of the season. Rose would also be available for the playoffs, the question is can he return in a timely manner or will it be next season?

I’m watching the Heat-Pelicans game, the play by play guy says; “Henry Walker with the basket for the Heat.” I stared intently at my television screen and thought to myself. “That guy looks like Bill Walker who played at Kansas State.” I was correct after checking the net, his name is; William Henry Walker. I guess he must have decided to begin using his middle name.

Hassan Whiteside has demonstrated impressive numbers in this break-out season. The only negative has been his free throw shooting. Across the board his numbers has risen significantly over the almost two prior years he spent with the Kings. His free-throw shooting has actually improved although he suffers the downfall of most big men; he’s at .568.

It seems LeBron James is breaking records on a weekly basis. LeBron passed Jesus Shuttlesworth a.k.a. Ray Allen this week who was number 21 in NBA scoring. LeBron has an outside chance to pass Patrick Ewing this season. Next year he will eclipse Laker great Jerry West and the Pacers Reggie Miller.

On both sides
A sports radio host here is on Mizzou and Kim Anderson’s back. He claims Mizzou has not done a good job over the years recruiting in-state athletes. “Since Anthony Peeler (‘88) was drafted 20 players have entered the NBA from the State of Missouri and only one Kareem Rush attended Mizzou.” He’s correct few basketball players from the state have chosen to attend Mizzou. My count didn’t match his number although it was close; I’m not going to quibble over the numbers only his view. He further stated “Mizzou fails to recruit in the St. Louis region.” He’s correct again only one player from St. Louis chose Mizzou as their landing spot and this player was not skilled enough to play in the NBA.

Mizzou coaches don’t bother recruiting St. Louis was his claim. I’m not sure if that is totally true however score two points for the radio guy, now it’s my turn. If this host looked next door at the Kansas program he’d discovered several noteworthy facts. The State of Kansas has a smaller population than Missouri, where do they acquire their talent? It certainly ain’t inside the state, check the roster of Kansas players annually. You will find at most three maybe four players from the state, in some years the in-state number might even be lower. Have they closed the borders, not quite talent has escaped from the State of Kansas too. Willie Cauley-Stein at Kentucky and Semi Oleleye who was recruited by Duke and is headed to SMU are just a couple to mention.