Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Basketball from a fans perspective

Be careful
Emmanuel Mudiay was one of a number of prospects the Lakers worked out prior to the draft. Once the draft was held they passed on Mudiay to go with Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell. If you remember the story Mudiay was originally headed to SMU and then changed his mind, he signed a 1-year contract playing in China.

Laker Coach Byron Scott stated; “I didn't think he was a true point (Mudiay) guard," I didn't think he was a guy who made great decisions when we saw him and had him here. I thought that was something he would have to learn to do to run that position.” Scott’s comment provided fodder for Mudiay; he didn’t shot particularly well in his first game against the Lakers. Mudiay did manage a double-double scoring 12 points and dishing out 10 assists.

Good Detroit news
In recent years we’ve heard story after story about Detroit and its many problems, the crime rate, the decline of the auto industry, how about a positive story about the Motor City? Andre Drummond is that positive, he’s led the way as the Pistons are off to one of their best starts in recent memory. Even more interesting the 6-11 Drummond’s NBA numbers are advanced over those of his one year at UConn. Not only is he a double-double machine registering 20-20 numbers.

Drummond’s not snatched down 20 rebounds in every game but has managed to average that over six games. As this is written Drummond is scoring at a 20.3 ppg clip he’s grabbing rebounds as if he’s the only player on the court (20.3 per game). The only down-side to his game he’s “Dwight Howard” on the free-throw line. In closing I must applaud Coach Stan Van Gundy; I haven’t been much of a fan in the past but it’s clear the Pistons are tuned into his coaching.

It’s easy to understand
There is no method to document my statement however I believe it to be true. There will plenty of border crossings this winter as assistant and head coaches’ head north to Orangeville, Ontario about 50 miles from Toronto. They will be traveling there to see Thon Maker in action. If you check Rivals you’ll note they list Josh Jackson a 6-7 guard from Napa (CA) as the top prospect in the Class of 2016. I have no argument with Rivals they perform a service however I believe Thon Maker the 7-1 giant from South Sudan by way of Australia should be number one. Check out video of Maker and make your own judgment, at 220 pounds he glides across the floor often leading the fast break for his team.

His shooting is secondary because he towers over his high school competition; college will be a better test of his skill in that department. While we are discussing shooting Maker has range out to the high school 3-point line. At the top of his list of schools and not in any order; Arizona State, Florida State, Indiana, Kentucky, Notre Dame, St. John’s and UNLV. Wait for it wait for it, he reminds me of a taller version of the Thunder’s Kevin Durant. I know the comparison might place pressure on Maker but I believe given time. His game has grown which indicates he appears coachable.

We have arrived
I'm excited once again; Friday the 13th (not the movie) college basketball begins once again. I was excited a few weeks ago when the NBA began play for real. I’ve talked to acquaintances and one says; “I don’t like the NBA” while another states; “I just follow the NBA.” Yours truly is one of the nuts that loves the game at all levels, I have even attended 8 and 9 year olds games when I’ve known the parents and the child. Now is the time everyone begins predicting the NCAA Division I Champion, not me that is a task far too difficult for me to speculate in November.

Injuries can impact a team causing them to not play at the expected level. In addition if they manage a successful record some team is waiting in the weeds to knock them off in the NCAA Tournament. Don’t think it can happen UConn in 2014 was a 7 seed when they upset the Kentucky Wildcats to win the championship. There have been other upsets; underdog Villanova beating Georgetown in 1985 or the North Carolina State beating Houston’s Cougars in 1983. The Kansas City Royals baseball team has a saying which I like; “Keep the line moving” which I take to mean don’t give up. With that said there are few teams we could say are not under consideration.

Change of scenery
I seriously doubt Laker fans will mistake Roy Hibbert for the overbearing presence of Wilt Chamberlain, the smooth sharp shooting Kareem Abdul Jabbar or even the charisma of Shaquille O’Neal. Given an adequate adjustment period I believe Hibbert will surprise a few. The experts have already provided us their view giving the 7-2 center little if any opportunity to succeed with the Lakers. I certainly don’t have the ability to peer into the future the doom and gloom crowd fail to take into account Hibbert was twice an NBA All Star in 2012 and again in 2014.

Hibbert gained a spot on the NBA All Defensive second team in 2014. Hibbert was never the focus of the offense with the Pacers and the same situation will exist with the Lakers. Hibbert will be expected to block a few shots and snatch down rebounds; he’ll pass the basketball skillfully for a center. The “experts” have stated the belief Kobe Bryant will be a difficult teammate for Hibbert, which might be true but consider this fact. If Hibbert doesn’t show any signs similar to those of Dwight Howard he should be okay with Kobe. Do you need me to remind you of those stories?