Friday, December 18, 2015

Basketball from a fans perspective

Why
The public was aware Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan intended to retire at the end of the season; we guessed that would be either March or April 2016.  I believe we all were surprised when it was announced Ryan was retiring before the calendar flipped over to 2016.  As this is written I’ve read nothing on why he retired early.  I have listened to ESPN’s Mike Greenberg’s assessment of the story.  Before ripping Ryan the host claimed as far as he knows he hopes there is no health concern that caused the retirement.

Greenberg on his morning radio show; “Manipulating the system to make assistant Greg Wisconsin’s next coach.  It’s not his (Ryan) job to stack the deck so his guy can become the next coach.” A number of issues exist the public has a say-so this I believe is not one of them.  Greenberg is insisting (health concerns aside) Ryan fails to be a man of integrity.  That’s a strong statement by Mr. Greenberg.

How distinctive
I’m unsure when I first heard the name Dr. James A. Naismith.  Unlike other sports the game we love basketball was made-up by Naismith.  I can’t speak for soccer (football) but others football, baseball and hockey all came into being after being derived from another sports.  Basketball was invented due to a need; the cold New England winters had not allowed Dr. Naismith’s YMCA class outdoors to properly exercise.

Dr. Naismith had two peach baskets attached on opposite ends of the gym.  I don’t remember seeing any film of Naismith in the past and never heard his voice until this week.  A professor at the University of Kansa uncovered a 1939 radio interview in the archives which featured an interview with Naismith.  Dr. Naismith was asked about that very first 1891 game in Springfield (MA), it was interesting listening to his description of the game as he envisioned it and how he was forced to refine portions of it in order to avoid injuries to the players.

I doubt this
Despite his troubles (under NCAA mandated suspension) I love me some Larry Brown.  Over the course of his long coaching career the 75-year old Brown has had a number of coaching stops the vast majority produced winning teams.  One of those stops was in Philadelphia and coaching Allen Iverson.  With Iverson in a leadership role the 76ers played into the NBA Championship in 2001 although they lost to the Lakers 4-1.  Brown coaching Southern Methodist University has seen the 76ers from a distance the last several years. As I mentioned Brown’s had a number of coaching stops on his resume however it appears Philadelphia might be one of his favorites.

John Marks of Sheridan Hoops interviewed him and Brown expressed his concerns about the present state of the 76ers.  Bottom line Brown claims; “I could straighten it out (76ers) in five minutes.”  I informed you at the beginning Brown has been and continues to be one of my favorite coaches.  Given time I believe the coach could make a difference after all he’s a teaching coach.  Brown is one of those guys who love teaching the game as much as coaching.  Despite my admiration I find it difficult to believe it would take five minutes to “fix” the 76ers.  In addition to this account there are also reports indicating the 76ers are exploring a Mike D’Antoni hire as associate head coach, this one is a head scratcher.

Source: Sheridan Hoops

Bits n Pieces
While conducting research I came across a name from the past Tom Chambers.  A number of you might be unfamiliar with Chambers; he arrived in the NBA in 1981 with the San Diego Clippers.  Chambers spent his most productive years with the Sonics and Suns.  I checked the NBA scoring list and believe Chambers might be the only 20,000 point scorer not in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.  It’s not just scoring, he was a 4X NBA All-Star and NBA All-Star MVP (1987).  I’m curious why his name has never come up in conversation when discussing nominees for the Hall of Fame.  

The ESPN NBA page ran a story titled “5 on 5 would you pick Curry to start a team?”  It reminded me of a by-gone era in the playgrounds of America.  I’m unsure if it occurs much today but a group would gather in a city park or school playground and chose sides to form a team.  Usually the last guy chosen was one who probably appeared as though he couldn’t play would be the last one picked.  The games would end and sometimes a competitor would become a teammate if someone else arrived and someone left.

This is an interesting early assessment on LSU’s Ben Simmons.  Scouts are claiming they are unsure what position the 6-10 240 pound athlete is best suited to play.  I don’t believe they are projecting him as a point guard but I guess they judge he could be a two guard, small or power forward.  Early on LSU basketball has become “must-see” basketball strictly due to Simmons.   Should the 76ers win the lottery again the pick should be awarded to a team other than Philly.  Just sayin’, I’d hate for another talent to be awarded Philadelphia.