A basketball fan’s perspective
Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
Mike Boynton Jr. is not new to serving as a head coach, he served in that role at Oklahoma State from 2017-2024. In April 2024 he was the first hire by head coach Dusty May at Michigan. Boynton Jr. served as an assistant coach specializing on the Michigan defense. His role would change after May departed for the NBA Mavs, this occurred after Michigan won the 2026 NCAA championship. June 23, 2026, Boynton Jr. was named interim head coach by the school. On July 10 he was hired as head coach and signed a two-year contract. Apparently he’s off to a good start prior to play in the fall, the entire roster remained in place despite the departure of May.
Imagine a shadow so huge you shut down a league. Well, that statement over simplifies what has occurred as this is written. The NBA family of television networks are yet to release their schedule for the 2026-27 NBA season. They are waiting for LeBron James to make a decision which team he is likely to finish his career. Rich Paul agent for LeBron has mentioned television, so has commissioner Adam Silver. I am unsure of the wait time for a decision but surely it should come soon. If you remember the teams vying for LeBron’s services include the Heat, Cavs, Warriors and Sixers. On the other hand we might see the Spurs or Knicks sneak in the backdoor.
I’m going to introduce to some of you the name Arthur Kaluma. This 6-foot 7 225 pound forward went undrafted in 2025 after finishing play at Texas. He spent last season with the South Bay Lakers after signing with the parent club as an undrafted free agent. His stellar play for 2026 Summer League play saw the Lakers sign him to a two-way contract. Of course you are aware these types of contracts allow for a player to divide time between the G-League and parent club. These are summer stats however they are impressive, 18.6 ppg, 3.6 rebs, 50% from three.
I’m going to speculate on those named with this statement, this is a best guess. I could very easily be wrong and I can acknowledge that, with that here goes. Dalton Knecht despite his reputation as a shooter has fallen out of favor with the head coach, he played infrequently this past season. He’s followed by Jarred Vanderbilt who also rarely played, Vanderbilt’s defensive prowess is evident but his offense is practically non-existent.
Jake LaRavia in the lineup as a starter was up and down all season, what I’m not sure….did his responsibility change game to game by the coaching staff? Finally we arrive at Bronny James, no Summer League, which in my view was not a good thing. I thought his summer play would further develop the skill he’s displayed in the G-League. So there you have my thoughts, the most logical candidate to be moved would be Bronny James. He could very easily be moved to whatever team signs his dad, truth is the Cavs have reportedly opened a roster spot for him.
Opposition post players would often attempt to push Abdul Jabbar off his mark, that was the only method they could use to curtail the shot it was rarely blocked. I saw video of Wilt Chamberlain blocking Abdul Jabbar twice in one game. At one point I remember seeing post players and a number of those in the front court shoot a jump hook. Although Shaq certainly preferred a power game his arsenal contained a somewhat accurate bank shoot. Listen folks I get it, I truly like the “Wemby factor” but there are games where it might began practical for him to develop a front court game. While viewing a Summer League game one of the announcers said; “If Wemby played in the post every team would return to Big Man basketball!”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.