Friday, October 26, 2012


If you said Marv Albert
Your first thought is Knicks, Nets and TNT NBA broadcaster. This veteran has done play by play for Super Bowls, Stanley Cups, Wimbledon Tennis and other sports. Unlike a number of others in his field it’s NBA basketball that’s identifies him. Albert was behind the microphone as the Knicks broadcaster for 37 years. One other interesting note Albert grew up in Brooklyn, even worked as a teen for the Dodgers. It‘s easy to understand TNT‘s choice of him to broadcast the first regular season home game of the Brooklyn Nets November 1.  Albert’s customary Yeeesssss will ring out in Barclays for the first time on that date.

Out with old, in with the new
This is one of those “in case you missed it” stories. The move by Mizzou to the SEC resulted in new uniforms for the football and basketball teams. Use your imagination because I ‘m unable to provide you photos. At this point I’m unsure which uniforms are home and which ones are road. The basketball team will now have a choice of three different changes. A black jersey with gold surrounding the black lettering. They have the option of a gold uniform with black lettering; finally a white uniform with black lettering.

He “brow-beat” them
The Hornets lost their game against the Mavs; Anthony Davis only scored 6 points on 2-12 shooting.  Davis owner of the unibrow snatched 17 rebounds.  By the way Davis has filed trademarks for all unibrow phrases, how bout that?

Baby brother
Just like the cavalry of western lore Jeff Van Gundy is riding to rescue his big brother. If you are not familiar with the story ESPN announced there were to hire Stan Van Gundy as an NBA analyst. Later they announced a change and in a statement indicated brother Stan was no longer under consideration. Brother Jeff rides to the rescue spouting critical comments regarding ESPN. There is a segment of the basketball universe that is fond of the brothers Jeff and Stan. That’s okay if you like them, as for me and several others we don’t enjoy the twin whining brothers. If I were Jeff I’d be a little careful about public statements regarding my employer. Jeff might find himself on the outside looking in as well.

No more crying and moaning from me 
I don’t wish to rain on the happy dance in Seattle but I have a question?  Chris Hansen has become a knight in shining armor riding to the rescue of Sonic fans. Where was Hansen 5 years ago when the Sonic franchise was for sale? I guess sometimes buyers or potential buyers can emerge out from the shadows. With that said allow me to explain why no more crying from me. David Stern became commissioner in 1984; the Kings left Kansas City in 1985 for Sacramento. Because he’d only been on the job a year I believed him when he said “the league would look at Kansas City at a future date.”

The date has never come and Sacramento has actually been home to the Kings longer than the franchise existed here. We don’t have near the number of Fortune 500 companies a city like Chicago or New York might have. We do have a number of high rollers in this metro area but few willing to step up to the plate as the late Ewing Kauffman did when he purchased the Royals. The hope that Kansas City return to the NBA will not occur in my lifetime. That is the basis for no more crying and moaning from me. The NBA of 2012 and into the future is far different from the 1985 NBA. The franchise was sold to Sacramento interests for a little over $11 million dollars; into today’s dollars that is salary of one super star player. I’ll just root for my Lakers and others relaxing in my man-cave or those rare occasions I might travel to an NBA city.