Wednesday, October 31, 2012


All Star Ballots

The NBA is changing its voting for All Stars this year, no longer 2 guards 2 forwards and a center. The new configuration is two guards and “3 front court players.” It’s not likely to occur but you could have an All Star team comprised of 2 guards and 3 forwards. I have mixed feelings on this move, rather than provide my view you decide.

He’s made a decision
Ishmail Wainwright Rivals 4-Star and number 50 prospect in the Class of 2013 has chosen. This 6-6 220 pound forward from Raytown (Kansas City) MO has verbally committed to Baylor and Scott Drew. This is interesting on several levels; Drew appears to assemble a talented group of athletes every year. Baylor teams no matter how talented always seem to underachieve.

Keep the name in mind
Cody Riley is rated the number one prospect in the Class of 2017. 2017 would indicate the youngster is entering the 7th grade.  Riley is from Los Angeles and attends Sierra Canyon, a private school in Chatsworth.  This 12-year old is 6-6 so its likely Riley might grow a few more inches.  Remember the Hornets Anthony Davis.  Davis was 6-3 in high school and is 6-10 now.  You Tube video of Riley in action is available. 

He’s either crazy or stupid!!!
It seems almost evry day I read a comment from an opposing player regarding the new look Laker team, everyone wants to give us their “10 cent” assessment of the team. Metta Word Peace has said; “if we don’t win the NBA championship you can blame me.” He’s made several more similar comments. He said; “the Lakers want to go 73-9,” he furthered stated “We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9, that's definitely something that I want to do. “ Of course the 73-9 record would eclipse the Bulls all-time regular season won-lost record of 72-10. Allow me to cover the negatives first, MWP or Ron Artest has certainly slowed. His offensive numbers were sub par last season, his defensive presence continued to erode as well. Personally I don’t believe MWP is either crazy or stupid I believe he knows exactly what he’s doing. This 6-7 260 pound small forward is placing the bull’s-eye squarely on himself. You might note you haven’t heard or read similar comments from any other Laker player. This is my view I believe this is MWP’s method of preparing himself for the upcoming season. MWP is sort of the odd man out, the Lakers will have four perennial All-Pros in the lineup almost game long. You might not believe this but I believe it’s MWP preparing himself to battle Kevin Durant, LeBron James and others.

I couldn’t locate him
Do you remember the story I wrote on Mario Chalmers? He stated he was “in the front end of the top 10 point guards in the NBA.” At the time I questioned if winning an NBA championship had gone to his head or exactly what was the front end of the Top 10? The Sporting News must agree with me, they published their list of Top 10 point guards. Guess whose name was missing from the list? Injured Derrick Rose of the Bulls made the list, so did 38-year old Steve Nash of the Lakers. Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving of the Cavs was also mentioned. Reading this you might think I’m picking on Chalmers, that’s not my intent. I think he fulfills a very important role for the Heat but he’s not a Top 10 NBA point guard.