Friday, June 7, 2013

George Karl
I was never a fan of Karl but I thought if any coach was safe he would be the one. The Nuggets had won 57 games during the regular season a record, after a promising regular season they were eliminated in the playoffs. Karl requested a contract extension and we must guess management didn‘t place great value on him. He might be a good regular season coach as for the playoffs that’s another story.

This story dropped on us out of the sky
At his introductory press conference new Raptors GM Masai Ujiri hinted the team might do a name change. A fan responding to the story wrote; “Toronto Huskies.” I thought for a moment on his suggestion. *“The 1946-47 BAA season was the Toronto Huskies’ inaugural season. The NBA’s first game was played at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on November 1, 1946. The New York Knickerbockers defeated the Toronto Huskies 68–66 at Maple Leaf Gardens. The teams were part of the Basketball Association of America, the forerunner to the NBA. The Huskies finished last in their division and folded after one season.” It seems at times the NBA is all about nostalgia wonder why they didn’t adopt Huskies in ‘95? *Wikipedia

He’s in his first final
I was aware the Spurs had released veteran Stephen Jackson, I didn’t realize his replacement.
16-year NBA veteran Tracy McGrady replaced Capn’ Jack on the Spurs roster in mid-April. T-Mac played in China and when the season concluded return to the U.S. just in time to be signed by the Spurs. Veteran Mitch Richmond received a championship ring his last season in the NBA. I’m just saying I ain’t calling anything for the Spurs.

Told you so didn’t I?
The Hawks seem to change coaches frequently. I wrote of this awhile back, I believe there is a front office problem too with this team as well. I offer this proof, the team sends out letters to potential ticket holders. The letters mention the names Chris Paul and Dwight Howard a big fat
NO-NO. This is considered tampering, discussing a free agent not under contract. Anyone could understand the Hawks desire to improve the team but this is just plain stupid. Who’s working in the front office oh, I forgot the same folks who fired Larry Drew after 3 consecutive playoff off appearance.

Who wins?
I'm not exactly sure of the Heat-Spurs Championship series. I have a real dilemma this year, neither of these teams is a favorite of mine. I certainly intend to view the series however for the first time in awhile I have no preference for a winner. All the experts are picking the Heat, me I’m not completely sold on them winning. My gut says the Heat should win but we witnessed the Miami “Cavs” during the series with the Pacers. This series boils down to Miami’s Big Three versus the “old” Three of San Antonio. Dwayne Wade is age 31 however James and Bosh are in their late 20’s. As for the Spurs their leaders are all south of 30, Tony Parker is 31, Tim Duncan is 37 and Manu Ginobili 35.

Part of the problem with gaining an accurate assessment neither team faced the other will a regular lineup; we have no real idea of the matchups. Remember when Popovich sent his key players home after an extensive road trip? How will Kawhi Leonard matchup against James? How about Wade versus Danny Green? Will Bosh come alive in the Championship series and dominate Tiago Splitter? The one area I think the Spurs have the advantage is head coach. This is not a knock on Eric Spoelstra it’s just my belief Greg Popovich has endured a tad more crucial game decisions. I’ve given you all this information and have not picked a winner, unlike others I’m not blessed with the ability to peer into the future.