Monday, June 3, 2013

Bits n Pieces
After 19 NBA seasons 40-year old Grant Hill has decided to retire. Hill played 29 games for the Clippers this past season suffering another injury plagued season. You should have seen the Grant Hill I remember the Duke 2-time NCAA Champion. The co-NBA Rookie of the Year, a 7-time NBA All Star.

A warrior mentality might be applied to Pacer forward David West. After battling a 100+ temperature he was in the lineup for game 6 against the Heat. Didn’t shoot that well from the floor (11 points) but managed to grab 14 rebounds dish out 4 assists and blocked 2 shots.

The word “fan” is derived from fanatic, here’s a prime example. *”Matthew Thompson, a self-described long time Bulls fan, and electrician by trade filed a lawsuit on Thursday (in April) against Derrick Rose. Thompson claims Rose’s absence caused him to have mental breakdowns, emotional distress and ultimately to gain tons of weight. According to reports Thompson also claims that Rose displayed negligent behavior by refusing to play despite being cleared by doctors.” (*yardbarker.com)

I don’t understand the Grizzlies management. They announced they are allowing Lionel Hollins to explore other opportunities. They make this statement without any indication they will resign the coach, strange.

A long lay off is not beneficial to any team doesn’t matter the age. You cannot duplicate game conditions in practice, just doesn’t work. It will be surprising in that first game if the Spurs are prepared to play.

It’s too early
Viewing the NBA Draft Combine listening to the comments and additional reading my conclusion on next months draft has changed. Basketball experts have been reporting since last fall for us to expect the 2013 NBA Draft to be not as first-rate as previous years. They probably based their view on few players emerging to turn a team around. There are no athletes that make you go WOW! I think they might have done a disservice to this crop of youngsters. Those of us who follow the draft knew the names, did we have any idea when they were drafted Paul George, George Hill and Lance Stephenson would play such a vital role in the success of this Pacer team? Don’t get the wrong impression about my statement; I didn’t say the three were star athletes they are “part of the glue” that cements this Pacer team. It also proves with a little luck you can craft a team through the draft. If you can draft a Kobe or LeBron you are that much better, how about an athlete who is a key contributor to making a better team?

Please hire one and replace the other!
I have no control over these issues, my hope those in authority exercise their rule. ESPN.com is reporting the Nets have contacted Jeff Van Gundy to fill their head coaching position. I hope they hire him, if so it will provide me a degree of relief; no longer must I mute my television during ESPN telecasts. Wait there’s more, while change is in the wind how about replacing studio host Bill Simmons. His replacement should be someone who adds basketball knowledge to the broadcast. Simmons may be an acclaimed sports writer but he adds little substance to discussions surrounding the NBA in my view.

“I love Walter”
Celtic broadcaster Tommy Heinsohn would often utter the phrase “I love Walter. “ This
became a standard for him after an outstanding play by former Celtic Walter McCarty. I’m going to borrow his phrase but change it a bit; I love Roy! I’m referring of course to Roy Hibbert 7-2 280 pound Pacer center. I’m impressed because he’s a dinosaur in this tweet/text/internet age! As for the dinosaur comment I’m not referring to his age he’s only 26, the dinosaur reference in this context is a reference to the manner he plays the center position. He’s a back to the basket center that can shot the jump hook.

In addition he guards the paint effectively, grabs rebounds and block shots. Vital to me he’s not standing at the 3-point line jacking up shots; I fail to comprehend why centers think there is a requirement to shot 3-pointers. Hibbert is a throwback to the days of Kareem/Olajuwon/Shaq; don’t confuse my statement I’m not stating he’s on the level of that trio, Hibbert’s overall game is similar to several of the attributes of the three. The Pacers may not win this series but they certainly are winners at the center position with Roy Hibbert as the anchor.