Friday, May 31, 2013

A throwback
I attempt to refrain from mixing basketball with celebrity news; this is one of those exceptions. I read with interest Marshall Henderson had sent a tweet expressing interest in helping Amanda Bynes. Bynes the former child star recently ran into difficulty with the New York City Police Department which resulted in her arrest. Perhaps Henderson was serious who truly knows. A short time ago I wrote basketball was once full of characters, guys who marched to the beat of a different drummer. I indicated these individuals had disappeared from the game for a variety of reasons. Former Oklahoma Coach Billy Tubbs and Frank Layden who served as coach of the Utah Jazz were among the names mentioned.

The story was incomplete, I overlooked character and “bad boy” Marshall Henderson of Ole Miss. Henderson led Ole Miss with a 20.1 scoring average shooting an anemic .381 from the floor, see he's never seen a shot he didn’t like. Henderson’s sometimes animated clowning (that’s the only word for it) on the floor is known to drive fans and opponents crazy. Henderson’s resume contains several stops, after beginning his college career at Utah he decided to transfer to Texas Tech. After Bobby Knight was fired he left Texas Tech without playing a single game, he transferred to South Plains Junior College. From South Plains he journeyed to Ole Miss for his junior year.

Interesting
A generation of NBA players grew up watching Julius Erving aka Dr. J. and his smooth gliding strides toward the basket. They admired the acrobatic moves on the court be it a finger roll or slam dunk. Ever wondered who Dr. J. admired growing up? He didn’t hesitate with a response to the question; “it was Elgin Baylor (Lakers), I saw him grab the rebound off the board and dribble down the court and take the shot. I watched Chamberlain and Russell but I knew I wasn’t going to be 7 feet tall.” Erving also admitted his admiration for 6-5 225 pound point guard Oscar Robertson. As for the Baylor admiration Erving didn’t detail why, my guess it might have been Baylor’s ability to rebound and score with a variety of moves. (TNT NBA)

They should be invisible
Officiating in Game 4 of the Heat-Pacers series might have generated more conversation than the actual game and that’s a shame. Officials whatever the sports can often change the outcome of a match. I cannot remember who made the statement, for that reason I cannot give credit but I can paraphrase the quote. Questioned on officiating a retired official said; “the hope is for me to walk off the floor after the game and not be noticed.” An official will always be visible because they control the flow of the game, the official should never become the focal point of the game.

Did I inform you?
I tuned into the Indiana-Michigan State game to check out Cody Zeller against (then number 13 rated) Michigan State. Problem for me Zeller had a sub-par game only scoring 9 points but not Victor Oladipo. This 6-5 215 pound shooting guard had an outstanding defensive and offensive game. He managed to toss in 21 points while dishing out 6 assists and 2 steals. Oladipo not Zeller led Indiana to a 75-70 victory over Michigan State. Oladipo has managed to play his way into the 2013 NBA Draft, his defense is an asset and most likely will make him a lottery choice.

Fear the Beard
I knew of James Harden although I don’t follow Arizona State basketball. He’s become an all-everything for the Rockets I was forced to look up his numbers. I failed to remember he was (1.) 1st Team All-American his last year at ASU. The other day a reporter was accessing the Thunder and his comment caused me to think---maybe he’s right. He said; “the Thunder is not the same team anymore without Harden, they have lost some of their toughness.” Harden was an outstanding sixth man for the Thunder but he thought a bigger payday and the opportunity as a full-time player awaited him.

The Thunder traded him after first attempting to re-sign him; of course the fear was losing him to free agency. Provided the opportunity as a starter he’s bloomed and surprised many including yours truly. I like Kevin Martin and his unorthodox shooting style; I’m sorry Thunder you lost on this swap of players. Harden scored at a (2.) 25.9 per game clip but he’s not all offense. He’s managed to dish out nearly 6 assists a game while pulling down 5 rebounds. How valuable is Harden, it’s my view inserting him into the lineup rather than Kevin Martin the Thunder advance. Martin fans don’t get upset with me I just believe Harden is the superior athlete. (1.) Basketball Reference.com (2.) ESPN.com