Wednesday, May 1, 2013

They remain in place
If you check my April 26 column I indicated the Kings would probably remain in Sacramento. I claim no psychic ability just a feeling change was in the air beneficial to the California capital. The NBA had an excellent opportunity to address the fiasco they created, allowing the move of the Sonics to Oklahoma City.  They chose to ignore it and it's a shame I think Seattle deserves an NBA team.

He announced he’s gay
NBA veteran John Amaechi was a 6-10 270 pound forward/center, he played for a number of teams during his NBA career. Amaechi last played for the Houston Rockets he retired after the 2003 season. In 2007 he wrote a book “Man in the Middle” he would admit in the book he was gay. Amaechi became the first NBA player to acknowledge the fact he was gay. This week a second player came forward, veteran center Jason Collins (7-0 255 pounds) a member of the Wizards acknowledged he too is gay. There is a key difference between Amaechi and Collins, Amaechi is retired. Although Collins is currently a free agent he indicates he still desires to play in the NBA. The question now becomes will any NBA team be willing to sign him aware of his sexual orientation?

Over the years I’ve read comments regarding the sexuality of athletes especially WNBA players. You‘ve read many of them; “the (WNBA) league is full of lesbians or some similar comment. “ What about now, do you believe all those giant men you see play nightly are 100% heterosexual? I’m not in a position to call anybody out but we must conclude we live in a different age. We don’t have to embrace the lifestyle if we don’t agree with it that is not the issue. To me the issue is acknowledging the fact gay and lesbian people are present without the crude jokes and stereotypes. There are other gay and lesbian athletes in the professional sports ranks who would rather remain hidden for fear of identification.

I’m impressed
Before it began I was unsure of the Denver-Golden State match up; based on the two teams’ regular season record I thought it safe to guess the Nuggets would win the series.  Don’t misunderstand the Nuggets could still win, surprise, surprise this is the NBA Playoffs. After forward David Lee went down I thought for sure---advantage Nuggets. I am not as assured as I was a week ago. This scrappy Warriors team is up 3-1 as this is written----I’m impressed. (Nuggets won last night)  They might not win this series but once again a George Karl team might come up short. I admit I’m not a Greg Popovich fan but at least he’s won championships. Karl’s teams’ always good regular season winners fall short in the playoffs. Sorry Nugget fans this time there is no Carmelo Anthony or Allen Iverson to point at.   

Do you see what we see?
The Laker season came to an end much sooner than I hoped. At the beginning of training camp I (along with other Laker fans) looked forward to an entertaining season. NBA wars can cause all sorts of bumps in the road and this one certainly had far more than I might have thought. As for next season expect Kobe Bryant to return, will he be a changed athlete? Of course, no athlete can sustain a devastating injury similar to his and not expect the athletic ability to degrade. Kobe will return a little slower, he will be a little older but he will return I can guarantee that. You know the mentality of Kobe, would you expect anything less? This past Sunday I held a conversation with a buddy of mine, we discussed the Lakers and Kobe. My friend made a statement which immediately cause me to say; “that’s good I’m going to use it for my blog.” Kevin said; “we see the results (Lakers) with no Kobe, the thing that makes him great is the thing you hate! Sure he shoots too much at times but he is Kobe Bryant.” The thing that makes Kobe Bryant a great player is Kobe Bryant; don’t you see what we see?

They remain in second place
I held a barber shop conference with another regular patron. I said; “the TNT crew is the best in the business. Barkley makes knuckleheaded statements at times but provides valuable insight. Kenny Smith brings knowledge and concise information, Shaq is probably the least engaged personality. As for Ernie Johnson he does a masterful job of managing the 3-ring circus of personalities.” He said; “other networks are vying for second place, there not even close.” I agreed with him, fair or unfair we constantly make comparisons. I cited the ESPN/ABC crew for him. I said; “Jalen Rose does a decent job, I like Mike Wilbon however Magic Johnson and Bill Simmons add very little information of substance for me.” Did you know Charles Barkley has an Emmy award; none of the ESPN/ABC crew can make that statement. In addition TNT’s Inside the NBA is 5-time Emmy award winner. I guess second is not a bad position; the ESPN/ABC crew is ahead of NBA TV.