Monday, April 29, 2013

Another devastating injury
I was completing Monday’s Words eye view when the news broke. It was announced Thunder guard Russell Westbrook sustain a torn meniscus in his right knee. This injury will require surgery thus he’s out indefinitely. This is the year the Thunder was to compete for a championship; this injury is devastating to that desire.

Its over
I held a belief the Lakers could defeat the Spurs, that was my view prior to Kobe’s injury. I didn’t wish to write on the series for one reason alone, it might appear I’m making excuses. The statement is simple, I don’t remember the Lakers (or any other NBA team) suffering the number of injuries of this team. Sorry Magic Johnson you are wrong once again----it’s not an age issue with the team the Knicks are an older team. They haven’t suffered near the number of injuries. One more point and you can move on to the next story. I’m not going to provide you the name; I’m just going to say the headline leaped off the page. “Lakers are best team in the modern NBA? Not so Fast” I read the story by this national writer, he concluded if the Spurs win the NBA Championship this year Tim Duncan will have his fifth ring which will tie him with Kobe Bryant. He further stated; “the Spurs won their championships without all the L.A. drama.” I read the article he wrote and laughed out loud at several of his conclusions. I thought okay we get it---you are a Laker hater, could have fooled me!

They don’t believe
Last Wednesday I wrote of 14 year old Seventh Woods, I invited you to check out his YouTube tape. The youngster looks pretty amazing on tape but maybe too amazing for many. Some of the email respondents said; “he can’t be 14 years old” another stated “it’s common for parents to hold their child back a grade to allow them to dominate the competition.” Basketball fans I cannot respond to that question and several others. I don’t doubt the validity of the questions however for now there is no method to decide the truth. For the disbelievers I have a suggestion, set up an alert on your computer eventually if there are any improprieties regarding Woods they will certainly come to the surface.

Rookie of the Year
One of the NBA websites is campaigning for the Hornets (Pelicans) Anthony Davis to be named 2013 Rookie of the Year. I didn’t subscribe to NBA League Pass this past season; I had limited opportunities to see either Davis or the Blazers Damian Lillard play. In addition I didn’t check the previous year’s won-loss record for either team. I’m unable to conclude if Davis or Lillard improved their teams’ standings in any manner. It‘s not a knock on them more the fact their teams were really bad. It would be extremely difficult to compare a point guard to a power forward due to the positions each plays. With accurate measurement I am going to go with my unbiased opinion. I am going to declare the Blazers Damian Lillard 2013 NBA Rookie of the Year with Davis a close second.

 
Bits n Pieces
Coach Magic Johnson, owner Michael Jordan---understand the direction of this story. Word comes Charles Barkley wants to become an NBA general manager; he wants to become GM of the Suns.

Two collegiate programs I will be monitoring in the fall, Southern Methodist University and University of Mo-Kansas City. SMU finished 15-17 in the first season under veteran Coach Larry Brown. UMKC will compete in the Western Athletic Conference under newly hired coach Kareem Richardson former Rick Pitino assistant.

The April 25th mock by draftexpress.com says the Blazers will chose three point guards. The 9th choice in the second round Nate Wolthers South Dakota State followed by Myck Kabongo of Texas at 10. The Blazers then make the 15th pick by selecting Mizzou’s Phil Pressey. These choices are taking into account with 2012-13 Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard on the roster.

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert has some advice for Pistons owner Tom Gores. Talking to a group of business men at a breakfast meeting at the Detroit Athletic Club Gilbert suggested the Pistons should play in a downtown arena. *“It’s an experience said Gilbert. Let’s face it, (arenas) don’t belong in a farm field in the suburbs.” *Mike Wilkinson, Detroit News