Monday, April 1, 2013


It works both ways

Bill Simmons lists a number of professional teams he hates. Leading off his hate list is the Los Angeles Lakers. I shouldn’t be shocked or surprised; you admitted awhile back you were a Clippers season ticket holder. Congratulations Mr. Simmons, you have now replaced Jason Whitlock at the top of my nausea list. Thus you are assured of me no longer considering anything written or stated by you as relevant. I never thought anyone could supersede Whitlock but you managed to do just that, thank you and I’m quite sure Whitlock thanks you too.

The streak ends
Congratulations to the Miami Heat for establishing the second longest winning streak in NBA history. After Jerry West and others indicated the all-time win record was in danger of being eclipsed I took note of the comments. The South Beach crew won 27 games in a row before losing to the Bulls 101-97, the 33 game win streak set by the 1971-72 Lakers remains intact.  The Heat lost February 1st against the Pacers and would not lose again until March 27.  The only downside for the Heat other than losing was LeBron. I’m borrowing this from another, “every time he allows me to begin to like him he ruins it!” His belly aching about fouls after the game was ludicrous, how many times have we seen Bron drive the lane and run over an opposing player. Bron you need to put on your big boy pants you’re 6 foot 8 and 265 pounds with a chiseled body.

The best team in the State of Kansas
I mentioned my admiration for the outstanding record of Coach Bill Self at Kansas; I’ve tossed a few roses in his direction. Now to toss a few rocks, I understand (don’t agree) why he refuses to schedule Mizzou. As for the State of Kansas that is a far different story. Self’s team and Wichita State are both in the field of 16 and he was questioned about the Shockers. (1.) “I’m happy for the Shockers. I’m excited for them,” Self said, smiling. “But that doesn't mean we're going to play them. “That was a joke. Because I knew that would be the next question.”

He might have intended it as a joke but based on past history they will not be scheduling Wichita State. Government shouldn’t be forced to involve itself in trivial matters as scheduling but it might be compulsory. It would be a different story if this were a Division II or NAIA rival, Wichita State is a Division I school and a good one. It might be time for the Kansas Legislature to pull a “Kentucky, “i.e.” past legislation forcing the teams to play. Based on the weekend results Wichita State has advanced one game further than Kansas, regardless of the Final Four results we know the best team in the State isn’t in Lawrence Kansas, the best team is in Wichita. (1.) Kansas City Star

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid
Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com was berated by a local radio talk show host. This moderator was offended by a Medcalf column on the NCAA tourney. Medcalf had re-seeded the tourney; although I didn’t read his column he picked Michigan over Kansas. The radio guy went on a tangent pointing out the superiority of Kansas over Michigan position by position. The only area he pointed out as an advantage for Michigan was the guard position. I am anxious with anticipation to hear him offer an explanation why Kansas lost. The vast majority of the local media should quit drinking the Kansas
Kool-Aid. The team from Lawrence is very good team however they are not invincible.