Friday, March 29, 2013


 
3 Stooges
I think Coach Buzz Williams of Marquette bears a striking resemblance to Curly Howard of the 3 Stooges? I don’t have ownership so I can’t provide you photos; check out photos of the two on the web.

Good read
While searching for merchandise on the web I came across a Deadspin story. The article was written by Barry Petchesky and its dated January 24, 2013. “A History Lesson for Sacramento: How Kansas City lost the Kings” is the title, Google it. A good read and Petchesky detailed several specifics of the move I’d forgotten. Feel sorry for Sacramento fans, you might sympathize more with Kansas City fans after reading him.

Can you believe this?
I checked several of the NBA mock draft sites after the Nerlens Noel injury. I discovering some very interesting information; Noel’s draft position has only shifted downward slightly. In addition several sites have him at or near the same position he was prior to his injury. Most sites listed the 6-10 215 pound Kentucky power forward number one or number two in the 2013 draft.  One stie dropped Noel all the way to number five.  I caution you these are mock sites and have no actual bearing on the June draft.  I thought it unusual for the first time in memory it's possible a draft pick might spend the year on the injured list.  You say Blake Griffin didn't play his rookie year, you are correct.  The circumstances are different, Griffin was not drafted injured while the possibility exists with Noel.       

I didn’t think about this
One of the biggest critics of Dwight Howard play this season has been me----Larry Laker. Doug Gottlieb of CBS Sports had to bring it home for me. I'm paraphrasing a statment Gottlieb made on his radio program; "Dwight Howard is leading the league in rebounding and is 5th in block shots, all by a guy who is not fully healed yet from his shoulder surgery."  Gottlieb went on to state; "with Bynum having season ending surgery who got the best of this trade?"

The mountain
I wrote of the task in front of new University of Missouri-KC Coach Kareem Reed. One bright spot, checking the roster they only lose two players. The 2013-14 season might not be as bad as we might foresee. A new conference (WAC) and a new coach (Reed) will still require adjustments. This is similar to Frank Haith last season at Mizzou, the UMKC roster doesn‘t appear nearly as talented.  Haith was able to convince Mike Anderson recruits to play his style which of course led to a 30-5 season. Don’t wish to confuse you I am simply stating the situation is somewhat similar. Mike Anderson’s last Mizzou team finished 23-11 the UMKC team under fired coach Matt Brown finished 8-24.

I’m repeating myself again
There is no doubt on my part, Kobe Bryant clearly fouled Ricky Rubio. What I fail to understand is why the NBA office announces a day later the officials miss the call.  The NBA stated a foul should have been called on Kobe.  Unless there is an intention to change the outcome of the game is it necessary to announce the oversight?   

I wonder if this coach is in hiding somewhere
Your dad is a Hall of Fame baseball player Barry Larkin, in elementary school your batting tutors are Pete Rose and Tony Perez. When you begin playing little league baseball one of your coaches decides your batting skills are “all-wrong.” This coach causes you to quit baseball and you take up basketball. True story and that’s why Shane Larkin is a standout basketball player rather than baseball the sport of his father. This 5-11 point guard is a key contributor to the rise in Miami basketball this season. He is even getting some buzz as a possible NBA prospect. To think this occurred because a little league coach thought he knew more about hitting a baseball than Rose, Perez and dad Barry. (Wikipedia)