Wednesday, March 27, 2013



Bits n Pieces

The cavalry rides to the rescue or at least that’s the hope. A third and recently a fourth prospective owner has been added to the ownership mix in Sacramento. We must assume this is an effort to combat the earlier David Stern announcement.  Stern indicated the Sacramento bid to purchase the Kings was below the Seattle group.

In connection with the above story I’ve read several emails in the Seattle Times and Sacramento Bee from folks who identify themselves as Kings fans. The letters contain a general theme; “Seattle is stealing our team. “ Many of these same folks were probably ripe with anticipation for the Kings arrival from Kansas City in 1985.

Duke recruit Semi Ojeleye set an individual high school scoring record for the State of Kansas. The 6-6 215 pound small forward from Ottawa (KS) is now the record holder with 2,554 points scored. Ottawa is about 60 miles from downtown Kansas City Missouri.

Brave soul, I’m referring to Chad Ford of ESPN. He claims “Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel will be a top 5 pick despite the ACL injury.” Let’s assume Orlando or Charlotte win the lottery, as GM of the franchise do you choose Noel?

Ben Howland is history at UCLA; there are a number of successful coaches who could replace him. The question is could they handle the intense heat of coaching UCLA basketball?

Dictionary.com says it’s loo-ee-vil, others say Loooo-vul. Kentuckians claim the city and school are pronounced Louisville (Lewa vule). Over the past week or so we’ve heard varying prounciations of the school.

He’s good
I cannot win arguments in my own domain; a relative of ours is a high school sophomore basketball player. Although the team has a number of upper classmen Larry’s talent has allowed him to become a part-time starter at the guard position. How good, as a part timer he managed to led the team in assists. I said to my wife “if he (Larry) continues to develop I could see him playing at the NAIA or Division II level in college.” She seemingly took offense to my statement without challenging it. I must guess she thought I’d say he was headed to Kansas, Mizzou or another Division I program. At age 15 Larry will continue to grow however unless he does an “Anthony Davis” I think my response is appropriate. Larry is a shade over 5-10 at this point, as for the reference to Davis. He was a 6 foot 3 in his sophomore year of high school and is now 6-10.

I admit it
This is one Mizzou fan willing to admit he’s envious of the success of Bill Self. Don’t misunderstand I have “Faith in Haith!” I have questions regarding his in game coaching as for the recruiting portion Haith is top notch. Back to Bill Self a moment, I’ve written previously many thought this would be a down year for Kansas basketball. Far from it, throw out the middle of the season bump (Oklahoma State and TCU) they won the Big XXII championship for the umpteen time. Self has lambasted, begged, pleaded and conjured his least talented Kansas team (in my view) to a Sweet 16 berth.

I hope this would provide additional players who were omitted
Several weeks back I wrote of the top basketball players who played in the Kansas City metro. A couple of associates mentioned athletes I didn't list, in my view the trio I wrote of earlier had unlimited potential.  They were Warren Jabali who played at Central High School, Wichita State and the ABA. Anthony Peeler, Paseo High School, Mizzou and the NBA. The last mentioned was Jaron Rush who played at Pembroke and UCLA. My list was compiled principally from their high school records, if they managed to play professionally that was secondary. In addition Semi Olejye’s name was omitted; he broke the all-time high school scoring record this season. Ottawa (KS) is nearby but the same fate befalls him and Manning, Ottawa is not considered metro Kansas City. These players could be considered however their talents don’t exceed those mentioned earlier. No NBA All-Pros here but all below managed NBA careers if ever so brief.

Jon Koncak-Center HS, SMU
Larry Drew-Wyandotte HS, Mizzou
Lucius Allen-Wyandotte HS, UCLA
Clay Johnson-Manuel HS, Mizzou
Tyronn Lue-Raytown HS, Nebraska
Earl Watson-Washington HS, UCLA
Kareem Rush-Pembroke HS, Mizzou