Friday, March 8, 2013


Just in case

Mizzou fans complain loud and long about failure of the team to win on the road. The Tigers have one more road game tomorrow afternoon at Tennessee. Mizzou might not be as bad as some think, of the 14 SEC teams Florida is the only team with a winning road record.

Confusing is the description for this story, former Southern Cal Coach Tim Floyd is reported talking to Southern Cal. Although Floyd was never accused on any wrongdoing officially he left under a cloud of suspension. Floyd claims he’s not discussing coaching---what else could he be talking about---the weather?

NBA Coach of the Year is always given to a coach who raises the play of his team. Why not consider the coach of a good team whose stock has risen over the previous year.  In this case the two leading candidates could be the Spurs Greg Popovich and Heat Erik Spoelstra. Runner up might be Warriors Coach Mark Jackson followed by George Karl of the Nuggets.

Blake Griffin thinks Serge Ibaka was not suspended because the Thunder had an upcoming game with the Lakers. I would hope NBA punishment is dealt with fairly but it appears that is not always the case. Metta World Peace receives a suspension after review of game tape----should we suppose with him its reputation?

He claims his first line of work in television was reporting sports. Regis Philbin will serve as host of a feature program when the Fox Sports Channel launches in August. The 81-year old “retired” from “Live with Regis and Kelly” in 2011. I’m not one to send anyone out to pasture it’s my belief a human should be as active as possible. The question might be how many 30 and 40 year olds will leave ESPN for 81-year old Regis?

This is becoming real silly
I was watching the Tim Brando Show on CBS Sports Network recently and noticed a poll the network had commissioned. The poll question, “which player would you choose LeBron James or Kobe Bryant?” LeBron was the over-whelming winner of this unscientific poll, shocking isn‘t it? Okay let me see if I understand the reasoning; the respondents chose a 28-year old over a 34-year old. Picking the younger player certainly makes more sense, it’s not possible but I’m curious how the poll would turn out if both players were 28 years old?

Step up or shut up time
You can blame Dan Patrick for this one; he mentioned how good the Clippers have played in the regular season. He went on to state it’s now time for them to “step up or shut up” as it relates to the playoffs. For me there are other teams besides the Clippers. I can no longer include the Heat, they will never be a favorite of mine but I cannot deny the fact they won an NBA Championship. No matter how you win it it’s yours and no one can take that away from you. At the top of my “step up” list are the Spurs, surprised you I suppose. They make my list for a far different reason than the other teams. I’ve maligned this highly successful team over the years and the one year (2011-12) I pick them to emerge from the West they fall on their collective faces.

Next up you guessed it, the Lob City Clippers and they make the cut for reasons to numerous to detail. The Thunder took apart my Lakers recently; will Russell Westbrook shot them right out of an opportunity to win an NBA Championship? As for the last team I’m torn between two here; I would be tempted to name the Bulls but cannot do so with no Derrick Rose. My last selection (maybe by default) becomes the Indiana Pacers. They made a great deal of noise last season before eventually succumbing to the NBA Champ Heat, this season they have managed to beat the Heat twice. Is it this the year the Pacers emerge from the East? There I said it my step up or shut list is complete.