Monday, March 18, 2013


Where is he?
The above is attributed to 76ers Coach Doug Collins and he made the statment regarding Andrew Bynum.  For perhaps the 99th time I detailed how I wasn't thrilled whem my Lakers traded Bynum to the 76ers.  I admitted up front the player had maturity issues but thought he'd eventually grow up.  It appears the change from Los Angeles to Philadelphia has not been beneficial for him. Since the beginning of the season Bynum’s displayed a varying number of different hairstyles while sitting on the bench in street clothes. He’s experienced more activity with his barber than his 76er teammates. I’m not a physician; I must believe him when he claims infirmities are not allowing him on the basketball court. He’s continued to state he’d play this season and I think I believe him. Bynum went through a practice session and Coach Collins pronounced him unfit to play, I’m at a point now Bynum must prove he wants to play. After all remember; “I’m from Missouri Show Me!”

The tourney belongs here
Last week all forms of media alerted Kansas City the Big XII post-season tourney this year would be different. Of course Mizzou fans were aware the Tigers would not appear for the first time ever. Mizzou was playing however they were 555 road miles away in Nashville (TN). Much was made of the fact the tournament was being played in a state with no representative which is true, where else could it been held? At the time the conference expanded to 12 teams (1994) it was suggested by a few athletic directors the tourney should not be played exclusively in Kansas City, it should be rotated among several sites. Omaha was suggested as a possible destination, of course that conversation occurred at the time Nebraska was a conference member.

The tourney has been held in Dallas but there might be too much conflicting events for it to be successful there. The NBA Mavs and NHL Stars and other activities might stretch the sports dollar to its max. Attendance in Dallas certainly has not been what the Big XII hoped. Oklahoma City was also mentioned as a possible destination however a similar situation might exist there, the NBA Thunder call Oklahoma City home. Kansas City has served as host (not continuously) of this tournament since the Big 8 post-season tourney was first played in 1977. Am I arrogant enough to believe there is no other city capable of hosting the tourney, of course not? Despite the fact Missouri no longer has a team in the conference Kansas City remains the top and most experienced host.

The collegiate landscape continues to evolve
Its official as I understand it “Catholic 7” will retain the Big East Conference name. The schools are DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s Seton Hall and Villanova. Additional schools which will be added to balance the numbers. The remaining schools now re-named the American 12 Conference, a few of these schools, Temple, Rutgers and Louisville.

I’ve made up my mind
At a point in time I wasn’t sure which side of the fence I was on. I debated with myself if a conference or league office (NBA) should admit errors of its officials. The recent fiasco in Ames between Iowa State-Kansas caused me to take a position. The Big XII office admitted its officials made two late game errors. I focused on the first Arkansas-Mizzou game played earlier. Arkansas scored the winning basket against Mizzou and the player traveled on his drive to the basket, the official failed to whistle him. Unlike the Big XII office the SEC made no mention of the error.

Reports have circulated the oversight in the Iowa State-Kansas game might cost State an NCAA berth. As an Iowa State fan I’m pissed if my team fails to make the field of 64. The same scenario occurred in the NBA involving the Lakers. Dahnaty Jones committed what should have been a foul on a Kobe Bryant jump shot. The following day the NBA office announced its officials had swallowed their whistles, the NBA indicated a foul should have been called on Jones. My conclusion, don’t point out an error unless you are prepared to overrule the outcome.

It’s remote but could occur
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch pointed out it’s possible for Mizzou and St. Louis University to meet. Interesting since neither team will schedule the other and they lie but 123 miles apart via I-70. One more note, reading the newspapers in St. Louis the rivalry with Kansas only exists on this side of the state. I’ve been told the rivalry on the St. Louis side is with Illinois less than 200 road miles from St. Louis