Monday, August 5, 2013

I overlooked him
Last week we discussed differences between Andrew Wiggins of Kansas and Jabari Parker of Duke. I stated Parker might have an easier transition to the collegiate game due to several returning starters at Duke. I said Kansas lost its starting team to the NBA and graduation. The cupboard isn’t exactly bare in Lawrence Kansas, in addition to an outstanding class is sophomore Perry Ellis. Ellis was a Rivals 5-star prospect in the Class of 2011, the 6-8 225 pound forward turned down offers from hometown Wichita State and Kentucky. A veteran Kansas roster limited Ellis’s time on the floor his freshman year. Expect Ellis to demonstrate the talent he displayed at Wichita Heights High School and why Jayhawk fans should be pleased.

He‘s headed to South Beach too
Greg Oden is headed back to the NBA and to the Heat. In my view this is the best move for the young man, it certainly was the safest move for a variety of reasons. Oden becomes an addition to the defending NBA Champs, after all the team has won back to back championships. He’s expected to play a role but it’s my belief there will be a lesser amount of pressure on him than in Dallas, Sacramento or New Orleans. Just an observation on my part, I wanted to express my thoughts prior to the media. I will not read any comments or view NBA TV on this subject until after Monday’s Words Eye View is published.

“It’s gotta be the shoes”
Once upon a time a co-worker once said to me; “I sure will be glad when basketball (NBA) is over.” Naturally I asked why and he responded; so I can quite seeing the shoe commercials on television.” I left that company a number of years ago, I’m not sure if he’s still there are not. We are witness the shoe commercials haven’t gone away, it anything they might have become even bigger. Basketball shoes are a multi-billion dollar industry that’s why we continue to see them advertised on television, print ads and the internet. The headline is the quote from Mars Blackmon a.k.a. Spike Lee in numerous Air Jordan commercials. How popular are shoes you might ask, Michael Jordan hasn’t laced up a pair of Air Jordan’s (in the NBA) since 2003. Nike released the Air Jordan 8 Retro in June 2013, this month Air Jordan 3 will be re-introduced. How much is MJ worth, according to Forbes the Jordan brand (shoes, sportswear etc.) pays him $80 million dollars a year.

Of course the focus is on Jordan because he raised the bar to unimagined heights. They say (whoever they are) timing is everything. Those in front of Jordan couldn’t do it, Dr. J. wasn’t able with Converse, same for Magic and Bird with the brand. Kobe, LeBron, Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose and others have received large financial income from shoe contracts. As this was being concluded the NBA Store announced release of the Nike Air Max LeBron X, the shoe retails for $164.95. Of course there are other high profile athletes under the Nike banner, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony to name a few. Nike is the world wide leader in shoes sales so it’s to be expected we‘d see them in the lead with high profile athletes. Adidas has Dwight Howard, John Wall and Derrick Rose, Andre Miller, Jameer Nelson and Isiash Thomas sport the Reebok brand. The basketball shoe business is big business and will continue to remain huge into the future. By the way have you seen the new Blake Griffin Jumpman 23 commercial? It’s titled; “Blake and Drain,” see it.

Fix the Lakers
Most concede (me included) agree the 2013-14 Lakers will not compete for an NBA Championship; it’s possible they will make the playoffs. As with most Laker fans I will approach the season with lowered expectations, they are down but not out. Quality free agents will be there 2014 but that becomes a headache for me (and maybe other Laker fans). The media is ripe with Carmelo Anthony/LeBron James stories possibly headed to the Lakers. I realize this is shocking but I don’t want either talent however that decision is not in my hands. My preference would be to re-build this team through the draft, trades and free agents. Potential free agents do not include James and Anthony, I seriously doubt if James would sign with the Lakers anyway. I’ve been unable to convince a single person I’ve talked to if a move occurs it will be a return to the Cavs. How could LeBron return after Dan Gilbert talked trashed about him?

Gilbert didn’t trash Coach Mike Brown he just fired him, Brown has returned. As for Carmelo Anthony there is no argument regarding his talent, the question is can he become enough of a team player to lead a team to an NBA Championship? Anthony is a player a team might covet but never (at least to this point) makes your team better. Grantland's Bill Simmons (and noted Celtic fan) was on Colin Cowherd’s radio program recently. Among the subjects discussed was Simmons fix for the Lakers. I have no intent to believe anything this Celtic fan (and Clipper season ticket holder) has to say about a fix for my team. You don’t agree with my assessment of the Lakers; read Gary A. Vasquez of USA TODAY Sports. He covers this subject too and he doesn’t believe the Lakers are a “basement team.” This Laker team is better than the 2004-05 edition which had Kobe Bryant and that‘s about all.