Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The collegiate season begins in earnest
ESPN has no monopoly on collegiate basketball, they likely will telecast more games than Fox Sports, CBS, CBSSports.Network and ABC combined. 29 consecutive hours of college basketball coverage began on Monday evening at 6:00 p.m. Central Time with Kent State at Temple. The games concluded with a Tuesday evening Kansas-Duke game which started at 9:00 p.m. Central time.

Bits n Pieces
Patience, patience I must continue to remind myself and fans of the Missouri-Kansas City program. The Roos (Kangaroos) lose a close one to Division II Emporia State (Kansas) 81-76.

I was surprised when I saw a video of the new basketball arena at Nebraska. From an outsider like me basketball appeared to be an afterthought at this football dominated school. Guess I was wrong; opening this fall will be the 16,000 seat Pinnacle Bank Arena. This arena replaces the 13,000 seat Bob Devaney Sports Center which opened in 1976. The video only contained a view of the building outside however I’m sure it must be just as impressive inside.

The Associated Press is reporting Supersports Television of South Africa will broadcast NBA games to 47 nations below the Sahara Region live. Naysayer’s always fail to read these stories, they continue to write emails supporting their belief “nobody is watching the NBA.” If the NBA is not on your television or your buddies don’t incorrectly conclude no one is watching. I would never be so audacious to argue just because I don’t like something the entire world follows my view.

I believed veteran basketball analyst Bill Raftery was committed to Fox Sports I exclusively. Not so according to Richard Deitsch of SI.com, Raf will also work a number of CBS college games and also work the NCAA basketball tournament.

I know it’s still early
A reminder to you (and me) the NBA season has barely begun, the collegiate season only started last Friday. The point one game as season does not make, it helps if you began the season on a high note similar to Jabari Parker. I informed you awhile back; don’t go to sleep on this Duke freshman. Freshman Andrew Wiggins at Kansas has become a hype machine not by his choosing. The light has shown less bright on fellow freshman Parker. In any event it was my belief Duke freshman Parker would be just as spectacular as Wiggins and he provided an early glimpse. Parker aided the Duke cause as they beat Davidson University 111-77; Parker scored 22 points in 23 minutes on 8 for 10 shooting from the floor. In addition this 6-8 235 pound forward snatched down 6 rebounds and dished out 2 assists. Parker had a complete game and only committed 1 turnover in his first regular season game.

Speaking of early (NBA)
After my Lakers were blown out (at home) by the Wolves the loss left them with a 3-5 record. I was gonna write a misery tale but decided to check the current standings, several playoff teams have begun the season on a sour note as well. The Knicks have 2 wins and 4 losses, the Bulls are 2-3 while Denver has only won 1 of its first 6 games. Even more interesting the defending champion Heat is only one game above .500 at 4-3. The Lakers beginning the season 3-5 is not what I hoped however it looks as though fans have shared company in our misery.

Decision day
This is confirmation most likely Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones are headed to the same school. I wouldn’t dare attempt to predict their destination. The 6-10 270 pound Okafor is Rivals number one prospect in the Class of 2014, Jones the number five prospect in the Class of 2014 is a 6-1 171 pound point guard. Both will announce their school of choice at 3:00 p.m. today, Okafor from Chicago and Jones from Apple Valley (Minneapolis-St Paul suburb).