Friday, November 1, 2013

Your opinion is yours alone----however
Doug Gottlieb CBSSports Radio explained he often provides his opinion to listeners. He further indicated sometimes he provides fact to back up his opinion. An expressed opinion is the basis for my take on Michael Wallace of ESPN.com this morning. Wallace writes the Miami Heat Index a column providing grades for the Heat and their opposition. The Heat lost their recent game against the 76ers 114-110, Wallace gave the Heat coaching staff an A for sitting Wade. “This grade goes beyond Wade. It's more of a staff-wide recognition of the collective approach the Heat took in sitting Wade on Wednesday as a precaution to preserve his health.”

How about this stat line for rookie Michael Carter-Williams. The point guard was 6 for 10 from the field, 6 for 8 from the free-throw line, 7 rebounds, 12 assists and 22 points. Wallace providing his view awarded MCW an A.  The Lakers have a similar plan to sit Steve Nash down for back to back games this season, no big deal to sit a player down.  My question for Wallace there is no justification to me for awarding the same grade for one who plays and one who sits. Just making a statement doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me. We must guess Wallace was awarded a letter grade for tests he may have missed in high school or college?

A.I.
Allen Iverson officially retired on Wednesday; prior to A.I’s retirement LeBron James offered his commentary on Iverson. “Pound-for-pound, probably the greatest player who ever played,” was LeBron’s take. Even more interesting he detailed what he believed was A.I.’s physical stature. “They say he was 6 feet, but A.I. was like 5-10½. Do we even want to say 160? 170 [pounds]? Do we even want to give him that much weight?” I certainly agree with LeBron’s assessment of A.I. I mentioned this before I believe Iverson was 5-11 and his playing weight was no more than 155 pounds he may have been even lighter.

I wish I’d said that
There are several in the media who come up with classic statements. They are so outstanding they make me think to myself “I wish I had said that.” You remember all the static when it was announced the banners and jerseys would be covered during Clipper games. I don’t tweet so I’m unsure who said it but I enjoyed it; “Maybe Doc Rivers can cover up the scoreboard?” This was tweeted immediately after the Lakers beat the Clippers 116-103 in one of the opening night NBA games. Last season the Clippers won all four games played between the two team.

Considering Kobe Bryant wasn’t in the lineup made the win even more noteworthy. Clipper fans (and Matt Barnes) have talked a great deal of smack over the summer. There is no misunderstanding from this Laker fan. I believe at least for now the Clippers have the better team this season. Acknowledging this fact I’m still not convinced after one successful season after years of atrocious play is going to translate Los Angeles into Clipper town I don‘t believe it.

He’s out for the season
It’s being reported the 76ers will sit Nerlens Noel for the season. It’s probably a good idea because speculation was he wouldn’t be able to play until February or March. One national publication claims the 76ers might be tanking in an effort to secure the draft rights to Andrew Wiggins. I cannot respond to that account I would claim I don’t believe it. As I indicated previously I have no medical background, in addition I’ve never sustained a torn ACL. Everyone looks at NFL running back Adrian Peterson and decides “if he can do it so can I.” Derrick Rose took his own sweet time returning despite the many complaints from Bulls fans. Here’s my take unless we have sustained a similar type of injury who can truly state when an athlete is ready to compete again.

Television schedule
Mizzou affirmed the balance of the schedule to be televised. All pre-season and SEC games will be available in the States two largest metro populations Kansas City and St. Louis. Of course the telecasting footprint on the Kansas City (MO) side extends into Johnson, Wyandotte and other metro Kansas counties nearby. The news release caused at least one Kansas fan to respond to the Kansas City Star. “Free at last!!! Free at last!!!! Thank God we are finally free from Time Warner's Metro Sports and now do not have to watch MIZZOU TV programming in the KC Metro area...Sincerely, A Jayhawk!!!!” This was the response from a Mizzou fan. “Evidently this Jayhawk fan must have a television only capable of picking up one channel. “ I can concur with that statement, it’s my belief the Kansas City metro cable systems (maybe satellite too) offer the ESPN family of channels, Fox Sports, SEC Network and the CBS Network. The announcement indicated the aforementioned networks would offer Mizzou basketball

Windy City basketball history
Most NBA fans probably believe the Bulls are Chicago’s first professional team; actually the Bulls are the city’s third professional team. The first team was the Stags who were founded in 1946; they were members of the Basketball Association of America. The Stags only lasted four years and the franchise was dissolved in 1950. The BAA would merge with the NBL becoming the National Basketball Association. The city’s second team was the expansion Packers; their first season was 1961-1962. A name change was made the following season, they became the Zephyrs. In 1963 the team moved to Baltimore and became the Bullets.