Wednesday, January 8, 2014

On the move
A portion of this player move was a little surprising the other not so much. The Cavs traded Andrew Bynum to the Bulls (surprise destination). Conversation over the past few weeks had Bynum headed to the Lakers for Gasol, now I’m unsure if that was just a rumor all along. Bynum was traded for Luol Deng (not surprising); he’s been rumored trade bait since forever. The Bulls will likely release Bynum thus gaining the Bulls cap space. Question, does Bynum have the NBA in his future? My answer probably in the right circumstances, he’s still 7 feet tall and 285 pounds. It's been stated; “you can’t teach height,” an NBA team will deal with the Bynum immaturity mark my word.

Allow me to explain
Many of the Kansas faithful were upset with their team losing to San Diego State. It’s my belief some suffer from unrealized expectations. This year’s team was over-hyped by the media and many in Jayhawk Nation bought into this suggestion. The media looked at Kentucky’s 2012 national championship team and its youth which led them to believe Kansas could do the same. Bill Self recruited an outstanding class of freshmen. Landing the number one prospect Andrew Wiggins raised expectations even higher. Losing most of that champion team to the NBA Calapri despite repeating his recruiting effort last season’s team fell short of its predecessor.  
There is no doubt in my mind Kansas has an extremely talented team. 

The team is young and the problem has been blending that talent and ensuring everyone is on the same page has been difficult at times.  In addition they have no “real” point guard which is certainly a detriment. Back to the Kansas fans reading one letter in the Kansas City Star fans still don’t get it. One writer in particular after the San Diego State wrote; “the road to the Big XII Championship runs through Lawrence.” The writer failed to take into consideration Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and maybe Kansas State might have an opposing view regarding his statement. In fact I wrote awhile back it’s my belief the Big XII top to bottom might be the toughest conference in the nation. Hang in there Jayhawk Nation the team will develop----NCAA Championship whispered in some circles is not going to occur in 2014. Check back with me in April on this.

I like the guy
Allow me to state my point; I like Doug Gottlieb of CBS Sports. You might say; “what’s that all about?” I admit I didn’t feel this way, I didn’t like him, now I’m really unsure if I can elaborate why. It seemed when he worked for ESPN either didn’t or wasn’t allowed to fully display his talent. Maybe it’s just his growth as an analyst. His basketball commentary during games I’ve discovered is insightful; in addition he’s not afraid to call it as he sees it. There is always a fine line to maintain while serving in the commentators seat Gottlieb has managed to win this fan over.

Bits n Pieces
Dante Exum the best high school prospect from Australia---whoa hold on a moment, he’s got a fellow countryman on the same level. Ben Simmons is from Melbourne however he is in the U.S. attending high school. Simmons is enrolled at Montverde Academy, Montverde (FL). This prep school is located 30+ miles from Orlando. Simmons is a 6-10 230 pound combo forward and is also a Class of 2015 prospect. Simmons is headed to LSU.

I read a headline stating; “Andrew Bynum might be headed to Miami. “ On the surface it’s sounds as a simple proposition. If that is the case why did the Heat sign Greg Oden last August? Oden’s not playing and it‘s been reported the intent was for him to be ready for the playoffs. Oden could be released should the Heat decide to go with Bynum but this is certainly interesting this situation develops as it’s believed.

Can you believe the names some sports fans name their off-spring? One couple named their new born Krisom Tyde a take off on Alabama’s Crimson Tide name. Another couple named their son S-pin connecting all to ESPN (E-SiPN). It turns out the dad had proposed to mom during a game on ESPN. A reminder once again I don’t make this stuff up.

My earlier comment regarding All-Star voting, did you read the latest story? Kobe Bryant requested fans not vote for him. Makes perfect sense to me, how many games has he played? I applaud Kobe for making this request.