Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Conspiracy theories anyone, anyone?
Question, how come conspiracy theories in the NBA only involve the Knicks (the Patrick Ewing draft) or anything involving the Lakers.  Why is it we never hear any conspiracy talk surrounding the Cleveland Cavaliers?  Anybody besides me attempted to figure out how the Cavs could be lottery winners three out of the last four years? 

Will she become an owner?
Oprah Winfrey has made it known she would like to purchase the Clippers. She would be the majority owner along with two male partners. Sale of the Clippers continue to play out and a resolution is yet to occur. There are no current female owners; to my knowledge Winfrey would become the first NBA owner. Winfrey would not have the distinction of being the first female; three women in the modern era have owned sports franchises. Two women have owned Major League Baseball teams and two owned NFL franchises. Violet Bidwell Wolfner inherited the NFL Chicago Cardinals after the death of her husband in 1947; she owned the team until her death in 1962. Note: the Cardinals would later move to St. Louis and then to Phoenix.

In April 1979 Georgia Frontiere’s husband died and with 70% ownership of the Los Angeles Rams she assumed ownership. Years later Frontiere would move the team to the city of her birth St. Louis. Marge Schott’s ownership was totally different; she was a widow too however her husband had no stake in the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. Schott a Reds fan utilized her financial resources to purchase the team. We conclude with Joan Whitney Payson Mets owner. She and her husband were minority owners of the New York Giants, when the franchise moved to San Francisco they sold their shares in the team.  She and others were among the petitioners to the National League for a replacement team. This replacement team would become the New York Mets. Mets. Payson served as team president from 1968-1975. Dates; Wikipedia

Another name change
For the second year in a row an NBA team has undergone a name change. Last season it was the Hornets who became the Pelicans. By the time you read this the Bobcats will be the Hornets, are you confused? Quick refresher, Tom Benson owner of the New Orleans Hornets wanted a name more identified with the City of New Orleans hence the Hornets would become the Pelicans. In the order portion of the nation the Bobcats franchise and name have never been particularly popular with Charlotte fans. Owner Michael Jordan petitioned the NBA for a name change from Bobcats to Hornets. The Hornet name left Charlotte for New Orleans, last season that franchise would be re-named the Pelicans. I hope I‘ve unconfused you with this explanation. .

Forgive me please
Pacer fans I apologize upfront, I am never sure which Pacer team we are going to witness. Late Sunday morning I held conversations with a number of NBA fans. I said; “I have no idea which Indiana team will show up, January’s version or the most recent edition.” I believe the Pacers are a very good team however they are quite capable of self-destruction. Circumstances prevented me from viewing the entire Heat-Pacers game, what I was able to see almost shocked me. I expected the Heat to immediately take charge which failed to occur.

The Pacers got out to an early lead which they never relinquished. The game might appear to be closer than the 107-96 score might indicate. The Pacers were clearly in control and at no point did I believe the Heat would win the match. Can the Heat shot 51% from the floor and 42% from the 3-point line again? We can expect the Heat to play much better in the second go-round; can they still win the series? I wish I could look into the future and inform you of the winner; at this point I’m not sure.

I wonder what’s wrong with his head
The reference is Andrew Bynum; we now discover the Pacers didn’t request a physical. In addition we learn he’s no longer a member of the team. I would be among the first to admit he fooled me, when the Lakers drafted him I was excited. I saw this 7 foot 285 pound center as the second coming of Shaquille O’Neal. Even more interesting was his comment when asked the comparison between Shaq and him. He said confidently “I hit my free-throws.” That portion of his game was superior to Shaq he’s good from the line. In the lock-out shortened 2011-12 season Bynum may have put up his best numbers.

In 60 games he averaged 18.7 ppgs and grabbed 11.8 rebounds, he blocked almost 2 shots. We might believe injuries have impacted his career and they have however his head has curtailed his career even more. He put in a lackluster season in Cleveland then spent a year on the 76ers roster. He was on the roster in name only since he spent the year in Philadelphia without playing a single minute. Bynum was traded to the Pacers near the middle of the 2013-14 season; he played limited minutes and now appears to be history with this latest team. Bynum is 26 years old and his NBA career is likely over.