Wednesday, October 29, 2014

WE ARE THERE!!!!
The NBA season started last night.  The collegiate season is on the horizon, a number of teams will begin play in approximately two weeks.  .

Makes no difference to them
Mizzou left the Big 12 four years ago for the SEC that was the beginning. From that point on Kansas University has refused to schedule a game with Mizzou. The two teams still share a state border but that’s about all anymore. I have a great deal of respect for Bill Self as a coach however I believe he’s off-base on this subject. It should be noted a number of schools have changed conferences but appear to hold no animosity toward former rivals. The account that follows details former rivals who continue to play one another. They believe continuing to schedule the rivalry is more important than conference affiliation.

There may be other schools which may have been omitted or just overlooked. UConn and Georgetown former Big East rivals will renew their series rivalry although both are now in separate conferences. The two will play a home and home series beginning in 2016. They are not the only former rivals to renew a series, Rutgers and Seton Hall earlier renewed their former conference series with home and home games. I hope you see why I believe Bill Self and the Kansas Athletic Department is in the wrong for its refusal to schedule Mizzou. It would seem because Kansas holds an edge in all-time wins why not “guarantee” your team a couple of more wins.

“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”
It may just be me, I’ve never believed in trashing my employer in the public arena. Yes I’ve had numerous complaints over the years of my employment, complaints which I shared with fellow employees. Notice I said “share with fellow employees”. I’m unsure if they may have shared my statements with their family, friends and maybe the media. I can state with conviction I always defrayed negative comments in all instances with non employees. From the outside most of us have no idea of the inner working of a business or an NBA team? I’m old-fashion but I believe because my company was loyal to me I owed them a degree of loyalty. In addition the salary paid me allowed me to pay my mortgage keep my lights, water and heat/air conditioning functioning.

Jeannie Buss questioned on the ESPN report “an inside source claims nobody wants to play with Kobe.” Jeannie said and I paraphrase; “I intend to investigate the matter and any employee making that sort of statement has no place with the Lakers.” Okay I’m going to respond to those defenders of free speech, this employee certainly has the right to his opinion and his view. There is a difference; he or she is an employee of the Lakers which means public statements are the responsibility public affairs. My former company had a standing order; “Should you receive a telephone call from a member of the media it should be directed to the public affairs office.” Disagree with my view if you wish that’s how it works whether it’s corporate America or the NBA.

Justice??
The headline jumped out at me; “Dante Cunningham struggles to clear his name.” I missed earlier news reports the incident occurred over six months ago. I’m not going to detail the story you can read the entire account somewhere on the net. Briefly former Wolves reserve Dante Cunningham was arrested on a domestic violence charge last spring. The police responded to a fabricated story by the victim. Fall out from the incident Cunnigham no longer has a job and is searching for employment.

NBA teams are avoiding him in lieu of the Ray Rice incident. I pointed out earlier the issue of domestic violence issue might become double-edged. There will be individuals who will fabricate stories such as this for effect. Innocent parties might be forced to suffer simply due to an argument; once the police are contacted (in the instance of athletes) the story “grows legs.” It is difficult because many read the initial story and fail to discover the truth.

Bits n Pieces
Speaking of characters how could we forget TNT broadcaster Charles Barkley? His quotes as a player followed him right into his television career. “I don't hate anyone, at least not for more than 48 minutes, barring overtime." Another Barkleyism; “I'd never buy my girl a watch... she's already got a clock over the stove.” The number of Barkley quotes is far too numerous to list them all.

Oregon State hired Wayne Tinkle to replace Craig Robinson. You might ask as I did Wayne who? The 6-10 Tinkle played for Montana and then 10-years in the CBA and Europe. In 2001 he was hired as an assistant coach at his alma mater Montana moving over to the head chair in 2006. Tinkle’s teams compiled a 97-39 record in the Big Sky and 158-89 overall.

In 1983 the Rockets drafted 7-4 Ralph Sampson, the following year 7-foot Hakeem Olajuwon joined him also being drafted y the Rockets. Most probably believe this was the first instance of a basketball Twin Towers---not so. It was a different era then; Jacksonville University was unknown to most of the nation until their 1970 NCAA run. Anchoring the team was 7-2 Artis Gilmore and 7-foot Pembrooke Burrows most likely the first basketball Twin Towers.

Kobe Bryant says he feels 70 years old after 18 years in the NBA. Love him or hate him you knew you would get 100% from Kobe. I could think of several players past and present nowhere near his age that played at 75 or 80%. It wasn’t lack of talent on their part more like lack of effort.