Wednesday, February 25, 2015

There is a distinction between lack of talent and lack of effort!
-------Larry Laker

Court storming
Once again we witnessed a court storming, Monday night Kansas State upset number 8 Kansas. The student section of Kansas State rushed the court celebrating the 70-63 win. Both coaches were pinned against a table not able to move but that wasn’t the only incident. It was evident a Kansas State student went out of his way to as Bill Self stated “chicken-wing” one of his players. After the Kansas player turned toward him the student went sprinting away probably realizing his life was in danger. I am far too old to transport myself back to my student days however I can understand the enthusiasm with a victory over the in-state rival.

The victory may have been even more gratifying considering the lofty status of the Kansas Jayhawks. Question, consider the circumstances if the Kansas player had decided to hit the student rather than walk away. I’ve played enough sports to know you don’t get in someone’s face after defeating them. I’m unsure if this incident occurred last season or two years ago I cannot even remember where it occurred. A wheelchair bound student was pushed by a fellow student into a court storming. In the turmoil the chair was turned over and the student was almost trampled. One of the basketball players seeing the incident pulled the student to safety.

I’m disappointed
As I sat down to draft the next installment of Words I glanced at the Steve Nash Laker jersey displayed on my wall. While a member of the Suns and Mavs Nash was one of those guys I loved to hate, the dipsey-do crazy shots he took (and made) plus the bullet passes he would zip to a streaking teammate. The Suns had made it clear they would prefer the youthful Gordon Dragic to run the team over the older Nash. Funny how things turn out Dragic is gone now as well however that’s another story.

The Lakers were an older team when Nash arrived but so was he. I certainly wasn’t expecting the 2X MVP do to appear but certainly expected more than what I’ve seen to date. Funny thing I only hear Laker haters claiming Kobe should retire, I’ve never heard Nash’s name in the same breath. As for my Nash jersey it will remain in place because he’s going in the Hall of Fame. He will not go into the hall as a Laker but no matter. Who could have guessed at the time Nash arrived from Santa Clara University he would become a 2X NBA MVP and garner the number of accolades over a 20 year career.

Bits n Pieces
I’m sure the NBA looks forward to the Knicks and Lakers fielding improved teams next season. But wait there is a caveat to the aforementioned declaration. If for some reason Duke’s Jahlil Okafor should be drafted by either team I can hear the yelling and screaming already. “Conspiracy, the draft is fixed” are just a few of the adjectives utilized nationwide.

I’m unsure about you but the news caught me off guard. The Cavs LeBron James eclipsed Allen Iverson in career scoring in a game against the Knicks. LeBron finished with 24,383 points. LeBron is number 22 and will pass Ray Allen this season and Patrick Ewing next year. Baring a major injury LeBron should pass several NBA stalwarts a number in the Hall of Fame.

By now you are award Chris Bosh of the Heat is sidelined; a blood clot was diagnosed in one of his lungs. It’s reported he should be able to return next season, here’s hoping that is indeed the case, get well Chris.

Unless his team self destructs Frank Haith’s Tulsa Hurricane team will make the NCAA this season. I wonder why one particular radio host’s discussion surrounding Haith are always negative. As this is written Tulsa is 19-7 and 12-2 in the American Conference. I have no idea of strength of schedule however the record is noteworthy.

Where do you stand?
Awhile back I wrote Mizzou received a verbal commit from Terrance Phillips a 5-10 point guard. Some may have wondered why it was even mentioned since I appeared to be enamored by Big Men. Well I haven’t changed, 6-11 (with skills) is certainly better the game belongs to the Aircraft Carriers. That statement doesn’t mean there’s no place for athletes six feet and under. I wrote of Nate “Tiny” Archibald who managed an NBA Championship career and the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Stats say he was 6-1 don’t believe it, I once had the opportunity to meet him. We could add 5-3 Muggsey Bogues to the list of talent under 6 feet. Bogues spent most of his career with the Charlotte Hornets or maybe 5-5 Earl Boykins. There is 5-9 Nate Robinson whose play has provided a spark off the bench for several NBA teams. 5-10 Phil Pressey played at Mizzou and is now a member of the Celtics. Don’t believe I’m stating there’s an NBA career in Phillips future. I’m simply stating don’t allow size to confuse with talent.