Thursday, March 17, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Welcome aboard
The welcome is for all the folks second guessing LSU’s decision to cease play.   Coach Johnny Jones consulted with his coaching staff and came to the conclusion the season was over.  LSU was beaten soundly in its last game and finished the season 19-14 okay but certainly not outstanding.  The prevailing thought LSU should be in the NIT; in addition Ben Simmons is gone.  It’s not official but why would Simmons return with all the potential NBA money on the table.  As for him I said I wasn’t going to write on this again and I going back on my word.

The last time I checked basketball was still a team game, although I was sitting in front of my television in Kansas City I witnessed a number of LSU games.  The win against Kentucky was probably the high point of the season, at the same time I saw plenty of “dog” games.  I would include the tourney game a 71-38 beat down by Texas A&M.  Fans and alum of LSU are disappointed in the season finale nothing can make up for that.  Part of the issue was the LSU team minus Simmon and the other portion rest on the shoulders of Johnny Jones.  Jay Bilas says; "He (Simmons) would have been better off at Kentucky."

I’m more concerned about……..
The other thing, the Lakers losing their first round pick due to an earlier trade.  As a reminder the Lakers won-loss record affects whether they maintain it or lose it to the 76ers.  My expectation either Simmons or Duke’s Brandon Ingram could help them.  Don’t misunderstand I am not stating playoffs I’m saying continued “building blocks” on the road to re-building or re-branding this Kobe-less team.

There’s been a change in a number of mock draft sites and it’s my fault, just when I wrote there was little if any movement in the 2016 NBA mock I was proven wrong.  DraftExpress.com was the first one I noticed that made a change.  They now have Duke Freshman Brandon Ingram rated number one in their mock 2016 NBA draft Simmons is now number two.  You can read www.draftexpress.com for an explanation why the two changed draft positions.  

On the subject
As for the top free-agent Kevin Durant there are plenty of questions.  Will Durant re-sign with the Thunder or somebody else?  Among the teams mentioned the Warriors, Wizards or Lakers.  Those are just the names that have been discussed or published, what do I think?  I really have no idea however of Durant’s ultimate destination.  Although I hesitate on that portion I believe he’s on his way out of Oklahoma.  No problem with the city or state I continue to look in the direction of Russell Westbrook.

For Westbrook fans I’m not trying to denigrate your man but there is clearly a problem.  Publicly both Durant and Westbrook state there is no problem between the two but is that really the truth?  I skipped school the day the teacher taught us “mind-reading” so I’m certainly not going to begin now.  The duo is “water and oil” no matter what’s said by coaches, teammates and analyst there is a problem.  A problem that will remain unsolved until one is no longer in the picture at this point that would appear to be Durant.

Trio of 7-footers
Most teams are fortunate to have one 7 foot player on their roster the Le Mans Sarthe Basket roster contains three.  Technically that’s not correct, one of the trio is 6-11 however his two teammates stand 7-3 and 7-2 in their stocking feet.  According to DraftExpress it’s likely Petr Cornelie and Youssoufa Fall will submit their names for the 2016 NBA Draft.

Fall is the tallest and is the heaviest at 7-3 and 271 pounds.  He‘s 20 years old and hails from Senegal in West Africa.  Cornelie packs 220 pounds on his 6-11 frame and he’s from Calais France.  Jonathan Jeanne stands 7-2 however a slender 195 pounds; Jeanne is from the island of Guadeloupe in the southern Caribbean Sea.