Friday, March 18, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Further
I wanted to clarify the comment by ESPN’s Jay Bilas I mentioned in yesterdays Words eye view. Bilas said; “Simmons would have been better off at Kentucky rather than LSU.”  I attempted to look between the lines on the Bilas comment.  At the beginning of the college season Skal Labissiere was talked about in the conversation with Ben Simmons.  The Kentucky youngster had an up and down freshmen season but nobody is yelling about him underachieving.  Second point Kentucky reigns supreme in basketball at LSU its football.  Do to a personal relationship Simmons choice was a “football” school. Just my thoughts they might not be correct.

And your point is?
I watch an abundance of ESPN and CBSSports Network; I cannot speak to Fox Sports.  I don’t check enough of the Fox Sports Network enough to make a comparison with the other two.  When not telecasting sports talk programs dominate the airwaves I’ve noticed a trend I’d like to call to your attention.  Both networks do a great job contacting the “basketball experts” whether it’s in studio a telephone or a satellite interview.  After questioning these experts and closing out the discussion the hosts take up the issue once again.

This is the key for me it often appears the hosts haven’t changed their position one bit.  I formulate my own opinions but I solicit advance hoping someone sees the issue differently than me.  In addition these experts are often former coaches or basketball players; they know the sport at a different level than fans or journalist. The ridiculousness reaches its zenith when you devote 20 minutes or so to a 16 seed beating a 1 seed.  We could care less what analytics say, the upset could occur however it hasn’t to date.  Why is necessary to continue another 20-30 minute discussion on the subject again?

Few accomplish the feat
Kobe Bryant will soon retire and will accomplish something few have done.  I’m not talking MVP’s, NBA Championships or scoring titles.  Those issues and others fall short of his 20 years with one team the Lakers. In this day of free agency and trades few players manage to play for one team their entire career.  If the Spurs Tim Duncan ever retires he will also hold the same distinction as his former teammate David Robinson. Larry Bird retired wearing only the green of the Celtics, as for today’s players it’s likely Dirk Nowitzki will retire a Maverick the same for Dwayne Wade with the Heat.

There are others I’ve omitted this is strictly from memory.  In this age it’s just rare for a player to play his entire career with one team.  Some of the giants of the game played for more than one team, Wilt, Dr. J., Hakeem Olajuwon and Dominique Wilkins to name just a few.  I hear and read stories stating teams don’t have any loyalty anymore however we could make the same statement regarding the players.  There are a number of present day players who are too young to consider for this story.  

Dome’s forever into the future
I read so much basketball related stuff I often don’t remember my source.  I guess I’m making this up, I read the “NCAA was moving out of domes”.  The location of the 2016 NCAA Championship escaped me so I decided to look it up.  NRG Stadium where the NFL Houston Texans call home, How about 2017?  I discovered it would be held in the University of Phoenix Stadium home of the NFL Arizona Cardinals.  Do you understand the direction we are headed?  I ceased my search with the 2018 game; it’s to be held in San Antonio, the Alamodome is being refurbished for the event.

The Alamodome served as home for the NBA Spurs until 2002 when they moved into the AT&T Center. Oh yes I forgot no NFL team plays in the Alamodome however the University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners play in the building.  Did I mention the Roadrunners are a football team?  Oh well I guess I have the best seat in the house in front of my television set.  Feet elevated, no waiting in line for the restroom. An unlimited amount of snacks I’m not forced to pay astronomical prices, life is good after all.