Monday, June 20, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Published Monday through Friday

Game Seven
I made a comparison between a heavyweight championship boxing match regarding Game Six I was wrong.  Game Seven was actually a match for the ages as both teams slugged it out for the championship.  What an exciting finish as the Cavs won 93-89.  Two weeks or so ago I predicted a Cavs victory, as the Warriors raced out to a 3 games to 1 lead I thought “well I missed this one big time.  I also stated you could laugh at me if I was proven wrong.”  To come back from a 3-1 deficit says much about LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and the balance of the Cavs.  Check the Wall Street Journal April 6, Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated the Warriors were "set for the future."   I wonder if he regrets pronouncing his team champions now and into the future?

On second thought
I intended to leave Ayesha Curry’s comment alone however I decided in favor of offering my response.  Steph’s wife is entitled to her opinion regarding the manner Game Six was officiated. She stepped over the line by sending out a tweet indicating “the game was fixed and the NBA must have a financial reason for extending the series to seven games.”  From what I’ve read (and believe) the NBA has been “paid” up front no matter if it’s a four game sweep or seven game series.  Conspiracy theorists have long picked, poked and dissected all aspects of the NBA in an attempt to find something wrong.  I never hear or read of the Super Bowl or World Series being fixed.  Historically check out the “Black Sox” World Series when you have time.

Patrick Ewing bent card, Cavs consecutive number one lottery picks (2013, 2014), referee Tim Donaghy forced to resign due to gambling.  We could uncover even more conspiracies if we continue to research.  I can agree with Ayesha several of the fouls called on her husband were certainly questionable.  At the same time Curry had at least two “dumb” fouls it was clear he’d committed.  In closing consider this account; you and wife are employed by the same company. Your wife is terminated and she calls the local news and television stations.  The story is told about how unfair ABC Corporation is to its employees.  In the mean time you are still employed by ABC and must return to work daily.  Unless you had issues its likely you retain your job but would you might feel comfortable every morning when arriving.  Think about it.

A rare occurrence
If you watched Game Six you witnessed a rare occurrence, I’m not referring to the Cavs winning and tying the series.  I’m actually referencing the appearance of Craig Sager as a sideline reporter. Sager has worked for Turner Sports over the years covering the NBA.  He would become
well-known for his colorful suits as his sideline reporting.  In March it was announced Sager’s leukemia had returned and doctors gave him at most six months to live without receiving treatment. Although Sager has worked for other networks over the years he’s never worked an NBA final. ABC/ESPN allowed Sager to work the sidelines for the game.

On Thursday
All kinds of stories are circulating on the 76ers choice, if Philly does something “strange” who will the Lakers pick?  Recently a fan website indicated the team was focused on Brandon Ingram if they had won the top choice.  So what occurs, the 76ers pick Kris  Dunn from Providence or Buddy Hield of Oklahoma the Lakers chose_________.

If you’re new
You might be a new to Words eye view and maybe noticed an inordinate amount of Laker stories. If you read the About Me on the side of the page you realize although I have always lived in Kansas City (MO) I’ve been a long-time Laker fan.  I attempt to cover all aspects of basketball middle school, high school, college and the NBA.  My hope is to eventually include reports on Euro basketball other than NBA prospects.  I bleed purple and gold so the Lakers will forever be my NBA team despite the recent history.