Sunday, October 29, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

“Teaching Lesson”
No NBA League Pass nor ESPN/Turner Sports/NBA TV I didn’t have an opportunity to see the Raptors-Lakers game. I was only able to scoreboard watch utilizing ESPN’s Gamecast.  Early on I don’t remember the portion of the game however the scoreboard pointed out the Lakers had a 17-point lead.  Considering the Lakers were serving as host against last season’s playoff Raptors I thought “Maybe they can beat these guys.” 

Well that was not quite the case, the final score Raptors 101 Lakers 92.  Evidently the coach was not pleased on Saturday morning I read Luke Walton pulled all the starters at a point they could have won the game, can you say, “teaching lesson.”  Walton stated his team had issues with their transition defense.  We often hear analysts refer to “closing out” a game, they state at times youthful teams often have problems.   

Bits n Pieces
A photo of Gregg Marshall along with four of his Wichita State players are featured in USA Today.  This account details expectations of the upcoming season and the schools’ move from the Missouri Valley to American Conference.  It got me to thinking once again Bill Self has at least two programs he doesn’t want to play, Mizzou and Wichita State.  Self has been a very successful coach especially since his arrival at KU, but I fail to understand the grudge factor.  I understand Mizzou however Wichita State is another story. 

Speaking of KU this is my friend not me.  We were discussing the KU-Mizzou “exhibition” game.  We covered a few subjects and then I said; “Kansas has sent a number of players into the NBA, but we can say only Paul Pierce has been highly successful.”  That’s not quite correct on my part I failed to mention Wilt Chamberlain.  My friend then said; “We might include Andrew Wiggins in the conversation.”  I said, yes you are correct. 

What if you gave a party and nobody decided to show up. The brand new Little Caesars Arena in downtown Detroit is now open, capacity for basketball is 21,000.  That’s just a number because despite opening night the Pistons have had a great deal of difficulty locating attendees. There is a solution winning always resolves regardless if its Auburn Hills or downtown Detroit.

Kobe Bryant wants Phil Jackson or Michael Jordan at his HOF induction.  Sound arrogant on his part you might say.  Whether the two individuals named will be in Springfield is a question at this point.  The portion that’s not a question is HOF for Kobe he will be a first ballot inductee.  

Bits n Pieces #2
Former NBA player turned broadcaster answered the Dan Patrick question.  Patrick asked Reggie Miller “Whose NBA feature would you’d rather have Ben Simmons or Lonzo Ball?”  With slight hesitation Miller said Simmons, I don’t remember the detail expressed but he sounded a familiar theme.  I stated earlier a co-worker indicated “Ball’s not going to become a superstar.”  I asked myself the question once again, is it necessary to have a superstar at every position?  Isn’t it just as important to have a steady dependable athlete on your side?

Despite what might appear to be a negative on my part that is not the case.  I believe injured Sixer rookie Markelle Fultz can play, he can play until its proven he can’t.  Unlike many in the media It’s difficult for me to be an entertainer I must present the picture as best I can. I cannot pronounce Fultz or Lonzo Ball unprepared to play at the NBA level. 

A recent edition of 247 Sports contained a story titled “The Best International Newcomers in College Basketball.” After reading the article the bottom portion of the page reads; “Canadian born players were not considered for this story” I guess it might be me, but I’ve never believed our friends north of the border would be included in any list of international players.  Canadian players have been crossing the border playing at American colleges for several years and some have managed NBA careers.