Saturday, October 21, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

I’m disappointed
I believe my critique of the Clippers during the summer focused on them competing in the Western Conference race.  I think I said something along the lines the Lakers were still the Kings of L.A., Clippers remain in second (or third place). Teams lose games all the time be they elementary or middle school.  Losing extends into high school, AAU, college and the NBA.  I am truly disappointed in what I witnessed tonight in the Clippers-Lakers game.  I don’t have a problem with 7-footers shooting 3-point shots but doggone make some of them Robin Lopez.  I expected to see a new and improved Brandon Ingram this season in this first game I saw the Ingram of last year. 

Lonzo Ball gets a pass, he’s a rookie and though he didn’t shoot particularly well I’m still okay with his play.  No argument the Clippers are a better team, but the Laker effort made them look like the Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals.  The Lakers are a young team, the Lakers are a young team I must continue to repeat that to myself all season long.  There are numerous times you have difficulty past the game.  ESPN’s NBA page contains video of Stephen A. Smith interviewing LaVar Ball, I witnessed the game but not the interview nor do I plan on seeing it.  As terrible as I believed the Lakers shot from the floor the Clippers were even worst although they won the game, Clippers 39.3, Lakers 40.7.  Final score Clippers 108 Lakers 92.

The City
Back in the day the San Francisco Warriors of Nate Thurmond and Rick Barry introduced a jersey which would become a classic.  The Celtics, Knicks and Lakers jerseys have remained pretty much the same throughout the teams’ history.  Today it quite common for NBA teams to wear multiple variations of their jersey. 

The old Warriors jersey which has become the new Warriors jersey was unique it was introduced at a time there was little imagination in jersey design.  In this old photo we see 24 Rick Barry handing off the ball to number 24 center Nate Thurmond.  Thurmond was a Warrior from 1963-1974 so my guess is the jersey was introduced at some point in the early to mid-1970’s.  NOTE: I pose this question previously once the team moves to Chase Center will they become the “San Francisco” Warriors again?    

I forgot
Until I saw the Slamonline.com photo and read the story I’d forgotten, there was Chris Webber in a Warriors jersey.  With the first pick in the first round of the 1993 draft the Magic drafted Webber but traded his rights to the Warriors in exchange for Penny Hardaway the number three pick.  The Magic wanted point guard Hardaway to team with Shaquille O’Neal.

Despite being selected rookie of the year Webber had continuing issues with Coach Don Nelson.  Webber wanted an escape so badly he left the Warriors after but one season accepting a sign-and-trade to the Bullets (Wizards).  Webbers best years were spent as a member of the Kings perhaps that is the chief reason we forget about the brief period Webber wore a Warrior jersey.  Webber would return to the Warriors his last season (2008) in the NBA.

Wednesday Night Live
The second night of the young NBA season was witness to several players having outstanding games on Wednesday evening.  Despite terrific games all didn’t register victory.  Hassan Whiteside scored 26 points and grabbed 22 rebounds but his Heat team fell to the Magic 116-109.  Giannis Antetokounmpo had 37 points and 13 rebounds as the Bucks beat the Celtics 108-100. 

The Uni-brow Anthony Davis had a 33-point 18 rebound game but it wasn’t enough as his Pelican team lost to the Grizzlies 108-91.  The Sixers lost their game against the Wizards 120-115 but we can see why Sixer Nation is excited.  Joel Embiid in limited minutes scored 18 points along with 13 rebounds teammate Ben Simmons was 18 and 10.  Former Laker D’Angelo Russell had a great start with the Nets scoring 30 points along with 5 assists and 3 rebounds the Nets came up short against the Pacers 141 130.  

Not expected
I read the headline and thought for a moment “Agent: Hayward unlikely to return this season”.  To date I’ve never broken any bones nor do I have any medical training.  For Gordon Hayward walking is possible in a brief period of time, the physical effort required to play NBA basketball is a far different matter. I’m sure Hayward wants to prove his value to Celtic fans, I’m sure fans wanted to see him in action in Celtic green.  We hope he returns in 2018-19 playing at the same level as his Utah days.