Monday, March 12, 2018



Bits and Pieces 
No worry for me, I’m already there.  Perhaps you read it on a social network, the story was titled “20 Pro Athletes who are broke.”  The list contained several former NBA players among them Scottie Pippen, Derrick Coleman and Allen Iverson.  All made millions while in the NBA but were reported to be bankrupt today.  The accounts contained a common theme: “Bad investments.”

There was one other barber shop story to relate for you, I mentioned the Rick Pitino account I'd written for Words eye view.  The former coach would never again coach Division I basketball at least that’s my belief.  One of the shop patrons disagreed with my take and imparted his thoughts.  The customer said: “Pitino will lay low for two or so years and then somebody will hire him.”  He elaborated further: “Look at Bruce Pearl at Auburn, what about Kelvin Sampson (Houston).”  I had to shake my head, maybe I did see a likely Pitino hire incorrectly. 

I believe Derrick Rose must read Words eye view. He was highly irritated with the comment made by several regarding his career, the response from Rose, “My body feels great.”  The comment I wrote on Saturday was based on the 2018 Rose we see rather than the 2011 MVP Rose.  I don’t believe Rose reads Words just kidding folks.     

Oklahoma's Trae Young was worn down by the end of the season it was quite clear. Despite this fact Young accomplished a feat never occurring in NCAA Division I history, he led Division I teams in scoring (27.4 ppg) and assists (8.8). It's possible Oscar Robertson and maybe Pete Maravich might have accomplished the feat. We don't know for sure, the NCAA didn't track assists in those days.

He’s number 13 as well
Over the years we’ve become acquainted with many of the superstitions of athletes.  Although varied in nature several avoid 13 believing its bad luck.  Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino wore number 13, so did the Yankees A-Rod, in basketball it was Steve Nash while he was a member of the Suns.  Perhaps the most famous number 13 was worn by the late Wilt Chamberlain throughout his college and NBA career.  The Arizona Wildcats DeAndre Ayton is not bothered by the number, he wears it proudly as he demolishes Division I rivals.  Ayton’s been a double-double man in his freshman year, the 7-1 250-pound center is scoring 20.3 and 11.5 rebounds a game as this is written. 

“Nobody has the competitiveness like me, you know what I’m saying?’’ said Ayton. “I think I’m different from everybody else. That’s about it. Play hard, I play hard every day. Got a country on my back that I’m representing.’’  If you were questioning what he meant by “country on my back” Ayton is from the island nation of the Bahamas.  The next stop for this talented youngster after the NCAA Tournament is the NBA draft.  He’s not declared for the draft yet however it’s only a matter of time.  You ask the question why to declare for the draft I would say why not.

Slamonline.com/college

I am loyal to a fault
A person or persons must do something terrible for me to witness the bad in them or their organization.  Have I been disappointed in life, you better bet I have however my loyalty runs deep especially something or someone I believe I have a connection with.  I had one of those “wrong place, wrong time conversations” recently.  I believe I made it known at one point I knew the name Cuonzo Martin however I wasn’t real familiar with his coaching record.     

Once Martin was hired at Mizzou I read, researched and listened to as much discussion as I could on the man.  A friend, a North Carolina graduate said: “I don’t think Cuonzo Martin’s a very good coach, look what he allowed to happen in the game against Ole Miss?”  To refresh your memory Ole Miss won in OT however he pointed to the fact the game should have ended in regulation with Mizzou the winner.  I cannot disagree with his conclusion however this is where we parted ways.  He said, “He’s a good recruiter but comes up short in game management.”

Martin’s teams are yet to reach the championship round or even play in a Final Four.  In 2008-09 his first team Missouri State finished the season 11-20, the following year 24-12, there was a slight improvement at Tennessee going from 19-15 to 20-13.  As for Cal it was 18-15 his first year and 23-11 in year two.  Mizzou becomes his 4th coaching stops and except for that first year his teams have never finished below .500.  Could his teams have played better over the course of his coaching career…. of course.  Beyond that Martin can coach Division I basketball, I’m sure like other coaches he continues to grow in the job.