Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Basketball from a fans perspective

WIP
I’m not even sure the phrase is still in use, I’m going to stop at this point and check.  Yes, it’s still easy to locate on the web so it must still be in use in some circles.  For those who might be unfamiliar with WIP, it stands for Work In Progress.  Webster defines WIP as: “A project that is not yet finished” which describes Mohamed Bamba at Texas.  The 6-foot 11-inch 225-pound youngster is headed to the NBA in June, how do I know you ask?  I don’t for sure however there are at least two factors that convince me, he plays defense and he plays defense and he rebounds the basketball. 

Okay that’s three, although his team lost their game against Kansas early in the season Bamba recorded 22 points 15 rebounds and 8 blocked shots.  Did I say he’s got a nose for shot blocking?  Bamba was born and grew up in Harlem (NY) although his parents immigrated here from the Ivory Coast or Cote d’ Ivoire a nation on the African continent.  Freshman Bamba led the Big 12 in rebounds and block shots while scoring nearly 13 points a game.  He might never be a great scorer but the other facets of his game approach the NBA level.  Expect to hear Commissioner Silver say: “With the _______pick the _______ choose Mohamed Bamba from the University of Texas.” 

Change is difficult
I believe I’m like most of you, change is sometimes difficult to accept.  We’ve read commentary by several folks calling for revision of the NBA playoffs.  I’m unsure why but allow me to voice my concern, its bothered me over the years seeing the Eastern Conference standings, we’d often witness two or three teams with less than sterling records in the playoffs.  Anytime a team finishes below .500 they should not be allowed in the playoffs has always been my argument.  I’m unsure about re-seeding the field however I don’t believe any team finishing below .500 should be playoff bound.  I didn’t check last season but as of March 13, 2018 every team in the Western and Eastern Conference is playing above .500 ball.  Just make sure all teams are competitive is my prime complaints.  

An American problem
This is probably not what you thought it was, I’m referring to arenas.  The present Madison Square Garden is number four, there will be a fifth because the lease on the present location will expire at some future date.  A new arena opened in Detroit for the Pistons this season, next season the Bucks will officially open their arena.  The Bucks present home the Bradley Center opened in 1988 will be demolished.  In 2019 the Chase Center will open in San Francisco becoming the new home of the Warriors.  Kemper Arena in Kansas City was replaced by Sprint Center in 2007 and we don’t have an NBA or NHL team. 

In the meantime, venerable Municipal Auditorium home of UMKC and the NAIA Tournament is still in use.  The Muni opened in 1936 however it’s been refurbished several times throughout the years.  Seattle is attempting to become an NBA city again and has applied for an NHL franchise.  The city finally decided in favor of a refurbished Key Arena rather than a brand-new building.  Key Arena first opened its doors in 1962, the preliminary drawings look quite interesting.  In America it’s not necessary to tear down every building to build something brand new.   

Bits n Pieces 
I hope this doesn’t sound arrogant on my part, this may have changed by now.  DraftExpress/ESPN mock draft projects Luka Doncic to be the top choice.  I seriously doubt if he is the first pick in June.  I’ve seen YouTube video of the 6-foot 7-inch guard/forward in action and he appears quite talented.  To refresh your memory only two international players have been chosen number one, Yao Ming in 2002 and Andrea Bargnani in 2006.  Both players arrived in the NBA as centers, one is in the hall of fame and the other well.     

I thought I’d seen or heard of every sports mascot out there.  Along comes one I’d never heard, I was checking out video of Trent Williams Gillette Community College.  Mizzou is looking at the 6 foot 3-inch point guard to fill a hole at the point.  The Gillette mascot is a pronghorn which I had to research.  The animal goes by several names, “pronghorn antelope, prongbuck, and American antelope”, why not just nickname your team the antelopes?

There is often a question regarding the criteria for one athlete being a project and another not even given consideration?  I’m sure there is no one answer however I believe we may have a project in mind.  His name is Emanuel Ugboh and he plays at Iowa Western Community College and he’s from Lagos, Nigeria.  He’s only scoring 6.2 points a game with the same number of rebounds, he just might be a diamond in the rough.  At 6 feet 11 inches and 244 pounds he just might be able to play at the Division I level.   

This is certainly not official but noteworthy, the latest edition of Tankathon NBA Mock Draft has both Porter brothers listed.  Michael Porter Jr. is listed as number 3 while younger brother Jontay Porter is at 18.  NBADraft.net also has Porter Jr. at 3 while Jontay is number 26.  Brothers have certainly been drafted in the past, but this might be a first, two possibly drafted in the same year.