Tuesday, May 29, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective
Published Monday, Wednesday and Friday May-September
Are you sure?
We have less than a month June 21 to be exact, the NBA draft will be held in Barclays Center Thursday evening.  A little background history before delving in the issue I have.  The Suns hired Igor Kokoskov May 3, this Serbian becomes the first Euro head coach in the NBA.  You think I got a problem with the hire, no far from it.  If the Suns believe the long-time NBA assistant can handle the duties of a head coach I’m okay with that.  

This is what I’m not okay with, the “possible” first pick made by the Suns draft night. 
All kinds of rumors are circulating Kokoskov will draft Luka Doncic, he will draft the 19-year old because he once coached the youngster.  This is not “I don’t believe he’s got the talent to be a number one pick,” it doesn’t even travel that far.  It rests with the prospective talent remaining available, DeAndre Ayton wunderkind played in the Sun’s backyard all season long.  I’ve said it previously and will repeat it again, small ball is in however how do you pass on big man potential of a 7-foot 1 inch 260-pound center?   

Bits n Pieces
It’s only 4 additional games but it would kill the NIT.  The ACC is proposing the NCAA Tournament field be increased from 68 to 72 teams.  Yes, adding 4 teams might not appear to be earth shattering but what about the NIT?  This venerable tournament which exceeds the NCAA Tourney might be history if this measure is approved.  By the way the NIT was first played in 1938, the NCAA 1939.

Unless you are part of Kansas nation you might be unfamiliar with the name Ochai Agbaji.  He’s a 6-foot 5-inch small forward who attended Oak Park High School in Kansas City.  On the national picture Agbaji is a relative unknown so the question might be why?   He’s connected to the program due to the school being close to Kansas City (MO) and his relationship with the coaching staff. 

I’m going to make this statement say for the last time, I still don’t understand the Raptors move in firing Dwane Casey.  It’s my belief Casey brings a great deal to the table but it’s team that failed to deliver.  It’s been said since the beginning of time, it’s far easier to fire the coach (or manager) than the team.  I said this previously and will repeat it, I hope Casey doesn’t get lost in the vast waste land of coaches who never get a second chance. 

Speaking of coaches, the Bucks have finally decided, they hired former Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer signing him to a 4-year contract.  Budenholzer moves from the mild Georgia winters averaging a low of 33 to a high of 51 degrees to the frozen north of Milwaukee where the average on the low in a chilly 13 to a high of 28 degrees. Oh well the Bucks are paying him enough money to afford a couple of more winter coats.    

I’m not a hater…. really
Don’t believe what you read or hear about me…. please.  I don’t hate Kansas basketball, I don’t hate Bill Self I do hate the fact he avoids playing Wichita State and Mizzou.  On top of that Self has a large following that believes this position is okay.  Enough of that now to the main point, Myron Medcalf ESPN writer has presented us with his pre-season Way Too Early Top 25 list.  It might be a surprise to you not for me he’s placed Kansas in the top slot followed by the team that ran them out of the building Villanova.  If you believe I’m picking on Medcalf far from it he’s not the only scribe that’s placed Kansas at the top. 

The Jayhawks lose key players (Malik Newman & Lagerald Vick) to early NBA entry and seniors Devonte Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk.  At this point the status of Udoka Azibuike is in limbo he’s entertaining the NBA although he’s hired no agent.  That’s a great deal of offense plus guys who know the Self system.  Kansas has one of the best recruiting classes in recent history, but they must hit the ground running if they are expected to equal the 2017-18 version of the Jayhawks.  If you ask me ‘What about Villanova’ I could make a similar statement they too expect wholesale changes for the upcoming season.  Duke, North Carolina or Gonzaga could finish above both Kansas and Villanova.   

He got an extension
Last Wednesday I wrote “Although several NBA teams have changed head coaches Doc Rivers remains in place, it’s likely he is secure unless he decides to leave.”  Doc didn’t decide to leave however owner Steve Ballmer decided to sign him to an extension.  The owner hinted the Clippers were transiting as a team plus the injuries Doc did an admirable job.  Ballmer’s words not mine, as many might be aware I’ve long made it clear I’m not a Rivers fan.  I don’t dislike him as a person I happen to believe he is over rated as a coach.  After reading the ESPN account of the extension I dropped down to read letters from fans, surprise I discovered there are several others who share my view.