Tuesday, August 25, 2020


Basketball from a fan perspective

Coaching moves
There are jobs open, Brett Brown is on the hot seat and the Sixers might be ready to make a move.  In addition, we read the Nets are talking Tyronn Lue and Gregg Popovich, Lue maybe but Pop? At this stage, it would appear the long-time Spurs coach is looking at retirement over taking on the role of head coach at this point.  This is interesting because we are unsure if Jacque Vaughn’s been given ample time to secure himself to Nets management.  NOTE: This was written early Monday morning, I decided to publish the account anyway.   

A letter to Joel Embiid    

Dear Joel,

I can address you by your first name, I take elder privilege.  I watched your growth as a basketball player from your days at the University of Kansas.  You might wonder why this letter is being written, there are questions regarding the future of your game.  I watched the Celtics sweep your Sixers right out of the building which prompts this letter, your game has regressed in my view. 

I am unsure if this is a coaching issue however aspects of your offensive game have disappeared.  A friend of mine indicates you want to be Jordan or Kobe shooting those fadeaway jump shots.  You are 7 feet tall and 250 pounds why are you shooting outside shots your size clearly states, “inside game.” Your recent past provides us proof you have an inside game; your off season should be spent renewing this aspect.  I appreciate you taking time to read my letter, take care now.

Yours truly,

Larry Laker

“I’m not impressed!”
We believe the basketball world was in awe with the Luka Doncic game winning shot versus the Clippers. All of us except Shaquille O’Neal a.k.a. The Big Diesel below are his words on Inside the NBA.  Our question to Shaq and others, why must a player win multiple games in dramatic fashion before we recognize pending greatness?     

“Calm it down a notch. That’s all I’m saying. He’s great, but I’ve seen that before – his name is Steph Curry. I’ve seen that before – his name is James Harden. I’ve seen it all last week – his name is Damian Lillard. Just calm it down a little bit – that’s all I’m saying. He’s great; he can play.”    

You are the judge
Video below, the battles of Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabbar, keep in mind Wilt was in year 10 by the time Kareem arrived in the NBA.  The vaulted skyhook was blocked by Wilt, there are doubts if anyone else did that for the balance of Kareem’s career, as for the player comparison:

Wilt Chamberlain 7 foot 1, 1 275 pounds
Kareem Abdul Jabbar 7 foot 2, 225 pounds