Monday, July 15, 2013

Bits n Pieces
Tony Kornheiser co-host of Pardon the Interruption in a discussion with co-host Mike Wilbon made this comment on Steph Curry of the Warriors. “We have moved into an era of scoring point guards, Curry belongs with Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo and others.” I would add the names Deron Williams and Russell Westbrook to his “others.” We can concur the day of point guards with limited scoring ability are over and has been for awhile.

As I stated earlier I thought Andrew Wiggins would choose Florida State, it now becomes somewhat clearer to me why he chose Kansas. Kansas had the second best recruiting class in the nation (per ESPNU) however they lose five starters. The incoming freshman plus returnees should allow the university to be competitive in the Big XII once again.

Wiggins would become the “man” at Kansas, no requirement for him to compete for shots or PT he would if he’d chosen Kentucky. North Carolina certainly has the credentials, for reasons I was unable to determine the Tar Heels appeared to be on the outside. As for Florida State (his parents’ alma mater) the roster might be too limited for Wiggins to display his talent, just speculation I have no basis for my theories.

I tire of listening to the constant Kobe bashing provided by Stephen A. Smith, Jason Whitlock, Colin Cowherd and others in the media. All three continue to sing in the same key. “It’s Kobe’s fault Howard didn’t stay, its Kobe’s fault for not taking a pay cut in order to sign additional players. It’s Kobe’s fault the team was allowed to age, in addition he’s also responsible for the air pollution problems of Southern California.” I have a question for the above trio and several others---why are you not involved in basketball operations for an NBA team? It’s easy for you to look over another’s shoulder and determine how they should operate. I’m sure you have bosses at ESPN and Fox Sports; I wonder do they stand over you critiquing every move you make.

The sky is not falling despite dire predictions by several respondents to this news release. Bill Rafftery longtime college basketball analyst is leaving ESPN for Fox Sports 1. Among the events planned by the new Fox Sports Channel will be telecasting Big East basketball. Color Analyst Rafftery “cut his broadcasting teeth” covering basketball. An email respondent indicted this is “the beginning of the end for ESPN losing its broadcasting crew.” I hope this gentleman is not holding his breath on the demise of the network.

Interesting development, former Laker and 76er Andrew Bynum apparently will sign with the Cavs after playing 0 games for the 76ers. Anybody remember his problems with Mike Brown when both were in Los Angeles? Bynum took 3-point shots at inopportune times and apparently paid little attention to the coach during a number of timeouts. We must presume Bynum’s season long injury plus $$$$ have allowed him to become Brown’s BFF!

I had a Twilight Zone or Bizzaro World moment. ESPN’s NBA page on July 12 contained a joke, it read; “Simmons: 10 Steps to Fix Lakers.” Noted Celtic Fan, Clipper season ticket holder Bill Simmons wrote of his suggestions for the Lakers to become competitive again. You think I’d bother reading anything Simmons writes on the Lakers? Truth is I don’t read anything of Simmons other than this headline.

I plead guilty, I speed read headlines sometimes. Often you are forced to re-read it because you misunderstood it. This is what I read; “Cauley-Stein and boot.” My first thought when did the former metro area player and Kentucky center sustain an injury? I reasoned (incorrectly) Cauley-Stein was in a walking boot. The actual story involved a parking boot rather than a walking boot. Cauley-Steins’s automobile had been “booted” for illegal parking on the Kentucky campus.