Monday, July 22, 2013

Not a hater
I read a very interesting piece in the Columbia (MO) Tribune on Phil Pressey. It was a detailed conversation of his adjustment to the NBA during Summer League play. The Celtics announced they signed Pressey to a mult-year contract. After going un-drafted Summer League play led the Celtics to sign Pressey as a back-up to Rajon Rondo. With the Celtics in a rebuilding mold this might be an opportune time for Pressey. If it appeared I was critical of Pressey I hope it wasn’t construed as malicious.

I failed to understand what I consider a higher than normal amount of unforced turnovers. He also exhibit poor shot selection at times during a number of crucial games. I found it interesting reading Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens discussed “east-west” turnovers with Pressey, northbound are headed toward the basket. The unfortunate issue is Pressey’s failure to understand fully comprehend this while at Mizzou. We can only guess Ainge and Stevens were able to reach him something Frank Haith was unable to do at times.

Part B
This is the second portion of a Friday story, we discussed the name change the history but that’s about all. How about the team colors? I believe the teal color of the Hornets might be headed east to Charlotte too; my statement is not based on fact pure speculation. 

1. There’s been no announcement from Charlotte other than to acknowledge the pending name change.

2. The Bobcats have an established color scheme; despite the name change the franchise may chose to retain the color.

Take into consideration the criteria
Most football fans might not be familiar with Percy Snow, he was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame over the summer.  Most football fans might not be familiar with his name, his NFL teamate certainly is better known.  Briefly over the summer the Kansas City Star headline read; (I paraphrase) “Snow elected ahead of Derrick Thomas.” Due to an injury at the start of his career Snow had a less than spectacular career while playing for the Kansas City Chiefs; of course Thomas was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame after his death.  . My point, the same misapplied concern occurs in basketball too. Fans (and newspapers) tend to forget selection is based on the level of the competition; be it collegiate or pro. In 2011 Ralph Sampson was inducted in the Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame and emails complaining about the selection began. 99% of them questioning how Sampson could be elected “based” on his NBA career. The critics failed to take into consideration his collegiate record. Injuries indeed curtailed his NBA career; Sampson was selected based on his college record. During his tenure at Virginia Sampson was a 3X Naismith Award Winner, 2X Wooden Award and 1st team All-American 1981, 1982 and 1983.

“I hope my feet don’t fit on that limb”
Now and then it probably serves me and you to repeat my mantra. I write from different perspectives, most of the time it’s plain reporting of basketball news. Other times it’s the basketball world as I see it. In neither instance do I think my view alone is correct and right for everyone. This is written due to my concern regarding many in today’s media. I often thought they “were just reporting the news.” Often their reporting (print or broadcast) is meant to stir up as much confusion and controversy as possible.

I see the “bad” in the world of basketball however I seen no need to write or discuss it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. My bias on some issues, players and teams often cause me to write time after time on the same story. I will not “Jason Whitlock” you on anything I write, for those unfamiliar with the term allow me to explain. The Fox Sports.com columnist has been known to embellish a column to persuade you to his point of view. I often will exchange stories with friends and associates to determine their perspective; my intent is just to provide information, if you agree okay, it not that’s okay too.

“It’s good to be the King”
For movie buffs and fans of Mel Brooks the line is from his 1981 movie “History of the World Part I.” I don’t remember the scene in detail; memory says Brooks in the role of the king performed a role an ordinary citizen couldn’t. The Bobcats have been pathetic on the basketball court. Former owner Bob Johnson and current owner Michael Jordan have come in for their share of criticism over the years. The team has floundered under owners, bad draft choices, bad trades and bad coaching hires. MJ promoted his older brother Larry to director of player personnel, he will report to the president of basketball operations Rod Higgins and general manager Rich Cho. Naturally the promotion produced an avalanche of emails complaining on the promotion. MJ’s response; “it’s good to be the king.” MJ is not the only owner to employ relatives, the criticism is directed toward MJ because the team has not attained any sustain success.