Monday, July 29, 2013

Southern Methodist University
72-year old Larry Brown pleaded (I believe) for the opportunity to coach once again. Southern Methodist University hired the well-traveled Hall of Fame coach believing Brown could turn the program around. SMU finished the first season under Brown with a 15-17 record, 5-11 in Conference USA. Any coaching change requires a period of time for the basketball coach to implement his program and recruit “his” players. SMU loses two seniors from the 2012-13 team, five freshman team members become sophomores and four sophomores enter their junior year. In addition there are four incoming freshman headed to the Dallas (TX) campus in August; see where I’m going with this?

Jason Tatum
Is the latest basketball talent to emerge from St. Louis, he’s 6-7 ½ and doctors indicate “he’s not finished growing?” A couple of interesting notes, this high school sophomore is being recruited by Kansas and Mizzou. It’s rare when the two schools are in competition for the same athlete. By the time you read this hopefully I will have had an opportunity to see him play. His St. Louis Eagles AAU team competed in the Metro Sports KC/Prep Invitational over the weekend.      

They signed who?
Most casual basketball fans were aware of Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk; after all he’d led the team in scoring with a 17.8 ppg scoring average. In a draft night trade 7-footer Olynyk was traded to the Celtics, he aided Gonzaga in registering a 32-3 record. The agent for Elias Harris announced his client signed a 2-year contract with the Lakers. You might ask the question who is Harris? Briefly he played 2nd banana to Olynyk at Gonzaga; he was the second leading scorer on the team at 14.6 ppg. The 6-8 Harris led the team in rebounding 253 rebounds to the 7-footer Olyynk’s 235.

Despite these numbers he was passed over in the June draft. He has another unique distinction; he’s a 4 year athlete. Harris played on the Lakers Summer League team and must have impressed enough to sign a 2-year contract. This is no prediction of future stardom for Harris; it is a pronouncement of one more youthful player. Reports had circulated for several weeks the Lakers were considering 33-year old Lamar Odom as an addition. Odom would have added a veteran presence however age might have worked against him. At 240 pounds Harris is capable of playing both forward positions, its hoped he will enhance the weak bench often exhibited by last years Laker team.

The best college team in Kansas????
I’m sure many of my Kansas friends will think I’m hatin’ on their school. I try no to get caught up in mid-major talk, if you play and win that’s all that counts. The statement is made because Wichita State in some circles is considered a “mid-major” school. All this mid-major did last season was win 30 games and play for the NCAA Championship. Of course we know they finished the season losing to the eventual national champion Louisville Cardinals 72-68. The cupboard isn’t exactly bare as they return a number of players who aided in last seasons run. Kansas might have the more talented Wiggins brother however he’s going to need help, the help for Nick Wiggins is already in place.

You don’t play games on paper
I became excited when I first glimpsed the 2013-14 Mizzou roster. I counted six athletes on the roster 6-9 or taller, height and rebounding should not be an issue. There are only two red shirt seniors on this team; the remainder of the team is underclassmen. This Mizzou squad is built for this upcoming season and the future. As mentioned earlier in another story it appears combo guard Jordan Clarkson may play the bulk of the minutes at the point. If that is the case scoring goes up and assists might dip slightly. I can hardly wait till November 8th when the team plays Southeastern Louisiana at Mizzou Arena. I’m very optimistic regarding the 2013-14 season however a note of caution, you don’t play games on paper!

Decisions, decisions
I received an email from the NBA store announcing a summer sale. Interesting New Orleans Hornets memorabilia was offered at reduced prices. Jerseys, hats and other assorted items will become scooped up by collectors. I’m sure when the Bobcats revert to the Hornets the Bobcat name will undergo the same scenario. I don’t plan on purchasing any Hornets or Bobcats merchandise but certainly could entertain a Kansas City Kings jersey.

I missed on the opportunity and now I’ve discovered I must pay more than I wish. In a related jersey story I debated last fall with myself. Should I purchase a Steve Nash number 10 or a Dwight Howard number 12? I settled on the Nash jersey figuring I’d purchase the Howard jersey later. I had no way of knowing what eventually would occur, I read a L.A. sports store is selling Howard jerseys for $20.00. In any event I have an Andrew Bynum jersey which I’m going to sell on EBay.