Sunday, January 24, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

Bits n Pieces
I was writing an account and I glanced at the crawl that came across the television screen.  It read: "Cavs have fired David Blatt."  The news was not shocking there have been stories circulating for awhile problems existed between the coach and LeBron.  Anytime there is a coach-player dilemma the winner is always(fill in the blank).  I don’t believe Blatt is a bad guy he’s got plenty of coaching experience just not NBA.  Tyronn Lue (from suburban Kansas City) is the new coach.

UConn got a jump start on 2017 recruiting with this latest announcement.  5-star prospect Zach Brown from Miami (FL) announced he was headed to Storrs (CT).  The 7-1 250 pound Brown might be the best center in the Class of 2017 and he wears number 33.  Hall of Fame player Kareem Abdul Jabbar wore 33 throughout his prep, college and NBA career.  I am not stating he’s the next Kareem just pointing out a fact.

This is short and to the point, why must certain members of the media debate Kobe Bryant a starter in the All Star Game?  Kobe is having a poor last season in his NBA career--check, Kobe is not popular with a large segment of NBA fans--check.  Despite the negatives he managed to accumulate 1.9 million fan votes, who stuffed the ballot box?

What’s up with President of Basketball Operations Doc Rivers?  He signs Josh Smith last summer expecting the Clippers bench would be improved.  At the midway point of the season Doc Rivers the coach discovers Smith has trouble adjusting and trades him from whence he came.  Doc trades him to a Western Conference contender back to the team that eliminated his last season, what’s that about Doc?

Clearly the leader
I remember last season debating with myself who should be NBA Rookie of the Year.  Andrew Wiggins was in the mix however my pick Jabari Parker was injured early and missed the season.  Of course we know Wiggins was chosen the 2015 NBA Rookie of the Year.  We are at the midway point of the season the race might be concluded already.  I believe the number one pick
Karl-Anthony Towns is the runaway winner.  Towns has competition from a couple of good rookies, the 76ers Jahlil Okafor and the Knicks Kristaps Porzingis are running second and third depending on who you read.

Despite critical remarks by many in the media the Lakers D’Angelo Russell is having a fair rookie campaign.  His chief problem Okafor drafted behind him is experiencing a better rookie campaign so far.  As for Towns the Wolves rookie is scoring at 15.3 points and 9.3 rebounds a game, he ain’t too bad from the field shooting at .532.  The 7-foot center was not able to demonstrate his offensive game at Kentucky due to the system Coach Calipari ran.  The Wolves have been the beneficiary of the budding talent.  Towns was a defensive presence anyway and it’s a matter of adjusting it for the NBA.  The future of the Wolves looks bright at this point thanks to adding Karl-Anthony Towns.

I’m suffering
This was mentioned previously but I thought it worth a re-visit.  I have been subject to much abuse thus far in this NBA season.  I know you don’t wish to hear about 16 NBA Championships you wanna know what’s going on in 2016.  Well it’s not good with either the Clippers or Lakers at Staples Center this season.  I guess Clipper fans can claim their team has a winning record and will make the playoffs, beyond that is a mystery.

Back to the Lakers believe me I thought my Lakers would play better this season but that’s not been the case to date.  I continue to sport my Laker gear in public, a bracket on my automobile license plate reads:  “Los Angeles Lakers”.  As for Magic Johnson he’s at “war” again with Jimmy Buss and the manner Buss is running (or ruining) the Laker brand.  Sitting here in the heart of the nation I remain a loyal faithful fan despite my suffering, I haven’t built a bonfire and burned any of my Laker gear.  I haven’t resorted to wearing a paper bag on those public occasions when I’m exposed as a fan.

As much as I love Magic Johnson the player I’ve had issues with Magic Johnson the Laker executive.  This time I believe he might be correct its time for Jim Buss to turn over the operations of the team to his sister.  There is no method to prove this but I believe Jeanie Buss should assume owner responsibility she would allow basketball people to make basketball decisions.  Every move by Dr. Buss did not always turn out successful but there is one key difference between father and son.  The father appeared to have keen insight to moves whether it was trading a player or changing a coach.  Son Jimmy seems to lack a panoramic view of the decisions he’s been forced to make.  Despite the negatives expressed I believe given time (and Jim’s exit from operations) the Lakers will prosper again.  I look forward to the day when I hear the familiar chant again; “Beat L.A., Beat L.A.” reverberate throughout a number of opposition arenas.