Friday, January 22, 2016

Basketball from a fans perspective

????
I’ll explain the question mark headlines, please read on.  I haven’t been witness to every game Hassan Whiteside has played; I’ve seen enough to believe it would be tragic for the Heat to trade him.  There were questions regarding Whiteside’s value, the line read; “Hassan Whiteside has become an incredible individual talent, but halfway through his contract year we’re still not sure if he’s helping or hurting the Heat.”  So read the CBSSportline.com story, they compiled numbers relating to Heat scoring and defense when he was on the floor versus off.  After I read the account I thought this is pure caw-caw they should have witnessed his recent game against the Nuggets.  Whiteside had a triple-double in an unconventional manner.

His stat line read 19 points 17 rebounds and 11 blocked shots as the Heat squeezed by 98-95.  Whiteside is currently leading the NBA in blocked shots with nearly four a game and is in fourth place in rebounds with 11.3 game.  The seven foot Whiteside is a decent scorer from the floor (12.3 ppg) but certainly doesn’t conjure reminders of Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem or some other high scoring center of the past.  Whiteside’s game is similar to other players in their third year in the NBA; there are elements of his game requiring improvement.  After being drafted in 2010 he bounced around the D-League and China before his breakout year in 2014-15.  If he continues to mature and based on play to date I certainly would enjoy being his agent.

Shooting clinic
I didn’t see the game so I’m not going to describe the events, I was watching Iowa State upset number one Oklahoma.  I can only guess the Warriors must have conducted a shooting clinic on the Cavs.  The box score indicates the Warriors shot 54.1% from the two-point line and 47.5% from the three line.  Even more fascinating this feat was achieved at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena.  The final score read Warriors 132 Cavs 98.

This is interesting
Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan is certainly one of the young talents in the NBA.  Before delving into the story allow me to clarify a couple of facts.  DeRozan grew up in Los Angeles in addition he will become a free-agent this summer.  A recent headline on CBSSport.com’s NBA page caught my attention.  One headline read; “DeRozan wants to be Raptor “my whole career”.  Four lines below; “Report, Lakers eyeing DeRozan I Exploring trades.”  The humor for me two stories on the same player inches apart on the same page.  DeRozan could be just talking; the lure of playing at “home” for the Lakers (minus Kobe) could be the ultimate draw.

Point of clarification
I was critical of former Mizzou Coach Frank Haith last Friday; he performs the same role as any other coach of a major sport.  That coach cannot and is not always aware of all activity relating to his or her team.  The troubling factor for me (if true) Haith left within days after becoming aware the NCAA was to conduct an investigation of Mizzou basketball.  Even more disconcerting is Haith’s attorney releasing a statement proclaiming his clients innocence, this was done we are led to believe because the NCAA report named no party.  There is a problem a cloud of suspension follows Haith from Miami to Mizzou on to Tulsa.

This is no forecast of future problems at Tulsa but as my friend might say; “They (Tulsa) need to make sure to cross all the T’s and dot all the i’s.”  Allow me to affirm once again I was a convicted believer and one of the most ardent supporters of Frank Haith.  I remained firm at the time news broke regarding an NCAA investigation at Miami; I thoroughly studied the events as best I could long-distance.  I believed Haith was being scapegoat for improprieties of the Miami football program.  Final decision was made and Haith would remain at Mizzou but would be suspended for the first 5 games of the season, even then I remained in the coach’s corner.  Haith’s now been touched by a hint of improprieties with two different programs Miami (FL) and Mizzou.  At this point can Haith be trusted to run a clean program?  There are three Mizzou commits headed to Columbia next fall hopefully they will not change their minds.