Saturday, August 26, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective             

By the numbers and more 
We have a tendency (me included) to concentrate on the 347 Division I programs, the “Big Boys” are always on ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports and broadcast networks.  We tend to overlook the others; I did a count and discovered there are 312 Division II and 442 Division III programs.  In addition another 300 NAIA affiliated schools exist throughout the nation and Canada.  

Athletic scholarships are available at all the institutions except Division III, there other differences in the level of competition.  I didn’t check all 1,400 schools however it’s unlikely none of the schools is without a men’s and women’s basketball program.  Many schools compete at a lower level for their football programs while others such as Wichita State and Marquette don’t compete in the sport.  

A reminder
Just in case you didn’t know or forget I’m providing a reminder.  I’d mentioned Jontay Porter was headed to Mizzou in August rather than 2018.  I reflected once again on my belief the team should be impressive after several sub par years.  An acquaintance said; “Don’t schedule Kansas yet.“  I said; “I know this is going to be a shocker for you I could care less if Mizzou ever plays Kansas again.”  

I added; “I have no connection with the school, Coach C. or the athletic department.“ I informed him; ‘If the games are restored I refuse to look on this game as nothing more than another on the schedule.  AD Jim Sterk has been on the job a little over a year but has indicated he is trying to restore the Border-War game.  To revive the game is going to require more than the desire of Sterk.  It’s also going to require stubborn Bill Self to agree to play.    

Chase Center
The start of construction was delayed by legal entanglements however it’s begun in earnest now; the Chase Center under construction in San Francisco will open for the 2019-2020 season.  In 1962 the Warriors would leave Philadelphia heading west for San Francisco.  The team would bounce around the metro area playing games in the Cow Palace, the Civic Auditorium.  

The team moved to Oakland and Oracle Arena.  The team remained in Oakland except for the 1996-97 year when the arena was being renovated.  The Warriors would return the following year to Oracle where they have remained since then.  I posed the question previously will the team revert to its original name San Francisco Warriors.  Golden State came into being after the team first moved to Oakland.    

A name to remember
Oumar Ballo from the African nation of Mali is the latest name to emerge from the African continent.  Ball is 15-years old however he stands 6-10 238 pounds and is likely still growing. His brother plays professional basketball in France so there are two possibilities; he will play in Europe or perhaps a college here in the states.  From all indications he is a budding talent who might still be growing at his age.