Sunday, November 24, 2019


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

My reputation precedes me…maybe
Saturday morning witness my every other week visit to the the barber shop for my haircut and shave.  I’m unsure how the question came about, a patron who I didn’t know asked me, ‘Are the Lakers going to win the championship?’  I was more surprised than shocked by his question.  My desire is to never go wild and crazy with a response except the folks I know well.  If you remember last season, they (the Lakers) were playing good basketball until LeBron was injured December 25th.  They should make the playoffs beyond that I’m going to wait.’
There was a key reason for my cautious approach, LeBron had missed few NBA games while playing for Cleveland (twice) and the Heat, he would miss 17 straight games in Purple and Gold the most he’d ever missed in the regular season.  The team didn’t crash and burn but came close as many of the roster was decimated by injuries.  The Lakers decided to shut LeBron down for the last six games of the season to allow his groin to fully heal.  LeBron missing a total of 23 games had never occurred in his career.  I had to call it as I see it, yes, I’m pleased but cautiously optimistic.   
What I don't know  
I have no idea if Mizzou commit Jordan Wilmore stands 7 feet 3 inches as 247Sports claims or the 7 feet 2 inches Rivals claims.  I have no idea how much he weighs 247 Sports says it 245 while Rivals says its 275 pounds.  The difference between the two sites continues, 247 ranks him a 3-star prospect while Rivals awards 0 stars.  I have no idea if Wilmore can continue to develop his talent into the future.  Those of us who follow the game acknowledge there is a “Grand Canyon” leap from high school basketball to Division I.  

The Mizzou staff was familiar with Wilmore although most in Mizzou Nation had probably never heard of him. I love me some Steph Curry, he’s revolutionized the game, I love a quality Big Man even more.  Can’t help it I continue to remain old school regarding center play.  Hopefully this Class of 2020 prospect continues to develop his senior year of high school and will be ready for collegiate play next fall.  Perhaps Wilmore just might be one of those prospects beneath the radar, after all despite being the son of an NBA player Steph Curry arrived in the NBA as an unknown.  On November 13 the verbal became official as Wilmore signed on the dotted line. 
We understand why, this is certainly different
I checked out the Western Division NBA standings on November 23.  You will be almost as shocked as me, the Warriors are in last place 3 up and 14 down.  We certainly understand why, teams can prepare for everything except injuries.  No Klay, no Steph and now D’Angelo Russell out plus other assorted missing in action.  I heard a studio host say; “(Steve) Kerr’s really going to coach this team.”  I remember writing prior to the season I believed the Warriors were playoff worthy, I believed they were a long shot to win a championship.  Now I believe any postseason play is certainly out of the question. 
Steph will return at some point soon; Klay just might return prior to season’s end.  By the time both are in the lineup the playoffs might be a distant hope.  Veteran teams don’t often look toward the draft for help however the Warriors hand might be forced.  We have no idea where they might settle in the draft lottery but let’s suppose based on their record its 1 through 5.  It’s either the Memphis Big Man James Wiseman or shooting guard Anthony Edwards of Georgia.  His stock is rising is rising in the eyes of scouts, would the Warriors be willing to draft LaVar…. sorry my error I meant LaMelo Ball?  The remaining balance of what might be considered lottery are comprised of mostly guards. 

Bit and Pieces
No, not those Capitals, if I said Washington Capitals, you’d immediately think of the NHL team…. wrong.  The names are not even spelled the same, the NHL team is spelled Capitals and the former NBA team Capitols.  What did you say, you’ve never heard of the NBA team?  Legendary coach Red Auerbach coached the team from 1946-1949.  The Capitols were a charter member of the Basketball Association of America being formed in 1946, in 1949 they moved into the NBA in 1951 the team folded.  There was no NBA team with Washington on its jersey until the 1974-75 season. 

The U.S. Military Academy at West Point has produced a great number of generals, statesmen, business executives, politicians, astronauts and even a U.S. President.  West Point has also been the starting point for two of the most successful college basketball coaches in the history of the game.  The U.S. Military Academy at West Point provided Bobby Knight his coaching start and later Knight had a point guard named Michael William Krzyzewski.  That guard would later coach Army before beginning his own coaching career at Duke.

It appears (probably untrue) a coach whether it’s college or the NBA must be no taller than 6 foot 5.  We believe Big Men don’t make for good coaches; do we really believe that?  John Thompson standing 6 foot 10 was one of the game’s all-time winningest college coaches.  Former player Patrick Ewing (7 feet) is following in the footsteps of his former coach.  After years of interviews at various NBA and colleges Georgetown hired Ewing in 2017.  Will Ewing be allowed enough time to implement his system and recruit the players he requires?  Building a successful college team is a work in progress, let’s wait and see.