Friday, February 14, 2020

Basketball from a fan’s perspective

Bits n Pieces 
I had no desire to kick anyone from the Western Conference off the team.  Get this straight with that said its sad the Suns David Booker benefits due to injury.  Dame Lilliard was injured in Wednesday’s nights Blazer game.  The result he will not participate in the All-Star game on Sunday, Booker has been named as his replacement.  

Cuttino Mobley is yet to be convince the Rockets have the key.  The former NBA player once played for the Rockets, although retired he now he continues to live in the area.  Mark him down, Mobley has nothing but praise for guard Russell Westbrook.  Despite the praise heaped on Westbrook former Rocket Mobley claims this Rocket team will not win playing small ball.  The key reason in the opinion of Mobley, the inability of Westbrook to tailor his game.  Mobley says playoff basketball is totally different from that of the regular season, Westbrook understands but fails to adjust.  Don’t throw rocks at me those are the comments of a former NBA guard. 

The Kansas Jayhawks are experiencing another outstanding season, 21 wins and 3 losses overall.  In the Big 12 conference they have a 10-1 record as this is written.  All we hear on the local sports news is Kansas, Kansas and more Kansas basketball stories.  A funny thing on the road to the championship, the Jayhawks are not the best team in the Big 12.  That honor goes to the Baylor Bears with a 22-1 overall and conference leading 11-0.

Being John Malkovich
In 1999 a movie with the above title was released, the premise was simple, the lead character could enter a portal allowing him to enter the head of John Malkovich.  One of the barbers a big-time Kansas fan once said this, “Andrew Wiggins is playing to not get hurt.”  He was expressing his belief Wiggins was one and done and headed to the NBA, of course that turned out to be the case. 

Wiggins is now in year 6 and we have continued to hear stories about his lack of dedication to the game.  Jimmy Butler left the Wolves and one of the complaints we heard was the effort Wiggins expended in games.  A noxious environment existed between Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns; this might be the primary reason Wiggins was traded at the deadline to the Warriors.  Before you claim I’m being unfair to Wiggins check out other sources, you will discover it’s not just me.  In closing I didn’t say Wiggins wasn’t talented far from it, it’s his head man. 

Bits n Pieces
There is no issue on my part admitting I’m bias, I love some Lakers basketball.  Mizzou basketball is followed by me with much passion and there are other areas my bias probably shows.  With the disclaimer out of the way allow me to state this with emphasis, the team(s) you root for are yours.  Doesn’t matter if its NBA or college basketball, it could be NFL or college football.  It might be baseball, hockey or football (soccer).  Team loyalty is yours alone, I hope I’ve never appeared to “force” you to root for my teams.  Well make a deal, I will not persuade you to root for my team(s) and hopefully you give me the same rights. 

This is a rumor; I will state that up front.  There is a possibility Kansas City will have an NBA team sooner than many of us might have believed.  This is certainly not a done deal, but I consider my source quite credible.  The only reason I’m cautious is another city is involved, this location might be granted the franchise ahead of Kansas City. 

For years many of us wondered how “The City” jerseys worn by the Warriors came into being.  Everyone believed it was a reference to San Francisco but the basis for the jerseys coming into being is different than most understood.  A friend who lives in the Bay area provided the explanation, he said people who live outside San Francisco will say “I’m going into the city” meaning San Francisco.  The jerseys originated while the late Franklin Mieuli owned the team.