Wednesday, September 2, 2020


Basketball from a fan perspective

One more account
Georgetown's first collegiate basketball season was 1906-07. From that point through the 2019-20 season the university has won 1,687 games. John Thompson led teams were responsible for 596 wins of that number.  ESPN’s Play by play man Mark Jones remarking on the passing of Thompson said.  “The first time I met John Thompson I said how are you coach?”  Thompson fired back, “What do you want?  The next time we met he gave me a hug.”  That to me sounds like the gruff but loving guy John Thompson was, boy we miss him already.”

I ain’t getting into this one
Pelican forward Brandon Ingram was named the NBA’s Most Improved Player for 2019-20.  Almost immediately the letters came pouring in like this one, “I think it should have been Doncic” wrote one writer.  His letter was reflective of several similar letters.  Sometimes there are fights I refuse to take sides, and this is one, I am a card-carrying member of the Doncic fan club. 

Doncic had a phenomenal sophomore season, as for Ingram well.  At the time the Lakers obtained Anthony Davis I tried not to focus on the personnel surrendered by the Lakers.  Probably most of you believe Lonzo Ball was the sticking point for me, no it was Ingram.  I hated the Lakers had to give up Ingram but believed Anthony Davis would sooth the souls of me and other Lakers fans.   

Just in case you wondered
The 2019-20 NBA season concluded with most teams playing at least 70 games, of course this is far short of a regular season which is 82 games.  Due to some talk regarding an asterisk on the season I wanted to check back in history to labor shortened seasons.  The first was the 1998-99 NBA lockout forced the NBA season to 50 regular season games, a few more games were played in the 2011-12 lockout.  That season the NBA played 66 regular season games, there you have it.  There was no asterisk for the 1999 or 2012 seasons so none should be noted this year no matter who is crowned NBA Champion.   

Tell us what you really think
“This is a business trip for me. I’m not messing around. Everyone wants to have their family, without a doubt, but we’ve been doing this for this long, what’s another couple months. It is an individual decision, but for me, I’m here for business.”  Those were the words of Heat forward Jimmy Butler; it is not clear when he uttered the statement.  On Monday Butler led the way scoring a playoff high 40 points, his output aided the Heat to beat the Bucks 115-104.  Game two should be quite interesting since the Bucks are certainly favored. 

basketballnetwork.net

Nicknames
Once again, the subject of nicknames is front and center, basketballnetwork.com listed a number and which is the best.  Just in case you might not be familiar allow us to remind you of several nicknames:

Julius “Dr. J” Erving
Clyde “The Glide” Drexler
Gary “The Glove” Payton
Sean “Reign Man” Kemp
Kevin “Big Ticket” Garnett
David “The Admiral” Robinson
Alan “The Answer” Iverson
Kobe “Black Mamba” Bryant
Kareem “Cap” Abdul Jabbar
“Big Game” James Worthy
Jamal “Silk” Wilkes
Paul “The Truth” Pierce
Giannis “The Greek Freak” Antetokounmpo
Nate “Tiny” Archibald 
Bill “Dollar Bill” Bradley
George “Iceman” Gervin
LeBron “King James” James

I will stop at this point, there are far too many names to include in this exercise.  Does one name standout for you over another?  For me it is the “Glove”, Payton played lock down defense on opposing point guards, the name totally fits.