A fan’s perspective
Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
He divided the next two seasons with the Rockets and Lakers. His time was divided once again during the next two seasons between the Raptors, Nets and Warriors. Time was split over the next three seasons with the Pistons, Kings, Cavs and when training camp opens in the fall it will be the Hornets. Over his lengthy career I’ve never read or heard any negative reports regarding Schröder’s conduct, it just appeared he would often become part of a trade. By the way Schröder does not hold the NBA record for most teams played, that belongs to Ish Smith with 13. With only one team behind Smith it might be a good idea for Schröder to pack a go bag.
MJ is so closely identified with the Bulls its often forgotten he retired then unretired and began play for the Wizards. Patrick Ewing is always associated with the Knicks although late in his career he played for the Sonics, and Magic. The Dream, Hakeem Olajuwon is thought of as a Rocket, he left Houston to play for the Raptors for a season. Some of the all-time greats have traveled extensively playing for a succession of NBA teams. Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook and LeBron James have played for a considerable number of teams and their moves had nothing to do with their on-court talent. The majority of these frequent moves occurred through free-agency rather than trades as it once did.
Because I am unfamiliar with Mañon’s play at the collegiate level I have only his time there as judgement. The numbers at both schools would appear average or slightly below that. Last season while playing for the Warriors Summer League team he scored 55 points in a single game. We know the story regarding Bronny and this is what I read a few weeks ago. There are a few in the media who expressed the belief he would have benefited by an additional summer of play. This would prove interesting, if Bronny wins the roster position we’ll know it’s not due to his father who is no longer on the roster. The battle for the final spot in training camp should prove interesting.
The issue May referred to was NIL and the transfer portal, both of which now play major roles in college basketball recruiting. As May put it: “Even when you sign prospects, you’re not really signed; to me, that is the biggest issue.” Colleges no longer lose players only to graduation, academic eligibility, or similar circumstances. Today, players can simply walk away from a program because they believe it gives them a better chance to secure their future. I have no problem with athletes trying to look out for themselves, but NIL and the portal appear to have created a problem of enormous proportions. Do I have an answer? Of course not—I’m not that smart. Still, I believe men’s college basketball faces a serious issue in this era unless there are decisions to be made by those in charge.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.