MA fan’s perspective
Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
As this is written there’s been no official word from the NBA. Unsure of when the league offices might sign off on the findings I wanted to get in front of the revelation. It’s being reported the NBA has no proof that Clippers owner Steve Ballmer circumvented the salary cap by funneling money through team sponsors in order to pay Kawhi Leonard. That leaves one question: who should we believe—the NBA, or media member Pablo Torres, who uncovered the payment story? I would never label myself a conspiracy theorist but if the early report is correct someone managed to avoid a major fine. If early reports are true does Torres lose a degree of credibility?
Before I move to the “meat & potatoes” of his account for an odd reason Suggs failed to list at player at 7. As for me, Moses Malone (1982-1986 & briefly 1993-1994) should fit somewhere in a Sixer top ten or perhaps Bobby Jones. LeBron James is an NBA all-time great, he’s the all-time scoring leader. Depending on who is in the conversation he is considered the GOAT in some circles. Despite the accolades of this generational player I have a tough time listing James as an all-time great Sixer. As this is written he’s yet to play a single game in a Sixer jersey, he’s not scored one point in practice or under game conditions. Will this change once he begins scoring and playing for the Sixers, not for me? It will be necessary for him to play 5-6 seasons to be included in my list of all-time greats for this team, I guess that makes me a hater.
For the second year in a row coach Bill Self was able to recruit the top high school player in the nation, his name Tyran Stokes. Stokes is a 6-foot 7 230 pound wing and will be inserted in the starting lineup day one. As I often mention it’s difficult for me to discuss money anytime we are deliberating an athlete’s ability. By all indications Stokes is being paid a larger sum of money over that Peterson received. The comparison between Peterson and Stokes is remarkably similar, both McDonald’s All Americans, both 5-star prospects and there are others. Does the time Peterson spent off the court affect how Jayhawk Nation and many in the media might sense about Stokes? That issue becomes the basis for the headline you read above.
I highly object to placing LeBron James above “Big” Game James Worthy and the explanation follows. Worthy helped the cause in winning three championships for the Lakers (1985, 1987, and 1988). In addition he was named Finals MVP in the 1988 win, Worthy was a key contributor to the Showtime Lakers. Several reading this are probably saying out loud I’m discounting the contributions of LeBron James and that is not the case. LeBron was the ring leader in the Lakers winning number 17, for a variety of reasons that was it. The criteria for this was NBA champions which is the formula I utilized. Now someone might argue why Elgin Baylor is ranked so high when he failed to win a single championship, that’s a discussion for another time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.