A fan’s perspective
Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
I cannot spend your money and I certainly won’t attempt that however I might have a question regarding your decision. If we return to Kuminga’s Warrior days this is what was reported. The Warriors offered him $75 million and a 3-year extension with a team option, he turned down the team drafting him forcing a trade to the Hawks. All this past summer word circulated in print and discussion Kuminga was entertaining offers from a number of teams including my Lakers, one by one these parties dropped to the wayside with the exception of the Wolves and Lakers. There were two offers on the table from the Lakers, a $20 million 2-year contract or a $36 million 3-year, there are no indications if either offer had stipulations which failed to meet the demands of Kuminga.
At the end Kuminga decided in favor of a $13 million 2-year contract with the Wolves which is reported to provide him the options he desired. Finally this quote from Kobe Bryant, “If I need to convince you to come here, to carry that legacy forward, then you ain’t the one to be it.” Some will question the legacy portion of the Kobe statement, other than the Celtics there is no other team in NBA history with the collection of NBA championships of the Lakers.
Some might remember reading Dusty May’s explanation why he left Michigan for the Dallas Mavs of the NBA. Although I’ve never read anything I believe Jay Wright left Villanova for the same reason, the ever changing landscape has made it extremely difficult to recruit and coach college basketball in this age. This is written while I’m in my Man-Cave, I can see the issues from here. I’m not naming names just wondering why there is no one apparently willing to address the issues. There is NIL to consider plus the Transfer-Portal and a myriad of other issues that require someone, anyone to step up and say, “I’ll fix it!”
The arena had first opened its doors in October 1940 so the building was 30 years old before the first Braves jump ball. In addition play dates were shared with the NHL team along with local college basketball teams that had used the auditorium for years previously. As with most expansion teams their won-loss record was terrible finishing that first season with 22 wins and 60 losses. The history indicates that by the 1976-77 season the Braves were a modest success but despite this issue trouble was brewing. Scheduling games continued to prove problematic sharing dates with the NHL Sabres and college basketball Griffins. Without going into detail a great number of issues finally forced the sale of the team and the eventual move to San Diego. Much later former owner Donald Sterling decided on his own to move the team to Los Angeles without NBA permission.
How did this unusual situation happen? In 2026, it seems as if the rulebook has been tossed out the window. “In August 2026, Lee was granted a temporary restraining order against the NCAA and, as a result, received a fifth season of eligibility after filing a lawsuit in California. He entered the NCAA transfer portal. That same month, he transferred to Gonzaga for his fifth season.” So once again, we have an amateur athlete who briefly played professionally yet is returning to amateur status. I can understand the student-athlete, Lee and others are only attempting to improve their prospects be it another school or a professional start.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.