Wednesday, September 16, 2026

A fan’s perspective

Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

You are in charge
An 1875 poem by William Ernest Henley became famed, a portion reads; “I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.” I might have misread the poet but I always believed he was stating we as individuals have a large degree for our success or lack thereof. This is said based on comments by former NBA player Danilo Gallinari who made headlines recently with his comment on Kawhi Leonard. Some might remember as for others Gallinari was traded to the Thunder in order for the Clippers to obtain Paul George, who Leonard wanted as a teammate.

I had forgotten Gallinari’s name until I read his statement, he said; “Leonard altered the trajectory of my career and landed me in a mess.” He went on to state the trade (to the Thunder) severely impacted his NBA career. I had forgotten Gallinari’s name, who is now retired. I checked and his stats indicate he was having a career year with the Clippers prior to the trade. He spent one season with the Thunder and played for four other NBA teams before eventually retiring. I cannot speak to Gallinari’s career after the Thunder but I believe there is truth to the Henley poem.

NBA business
Yes, we realize the NFL season has begun in earnest, sports news coverage will begin dominating the airways. Despite that fact there remains the NBA and this week should be interesting. An NBA owners meeting is scheduled and there are numerous topics to discuss. These are not in any order just what I believe are likely to be on the agenda. With a federal investigation beginning regarding the Clippers will there be additional penalties addressed by the NBA? Also likely on the agenda is further news regarding NBA Europe, the league is scheduled to begin play next fall near this time. Expansion will also be a subject of discussion as well, this is not a guaranteed fact however the conversation surrounding Seattle and Las Vegas would indicate these cities are considered the prime candidates for expansion to the NBA.

Kansas City basketball
The city is laid back in most of its sports programs with the exception of the NFL Chiefs. Despite coming off an injury to quarterback Patrick Mahomes and missing the playoffs this past season it doesn’t hurt they have made it on an annual basis for 10 years. In addition to that winning 3 Super Bowl championships aids the cause too. The baseball Royals, the Current and Sporting KC soccer teams….is there room for basketball? The University of Missouri Kansas City or Kansas City Roos have made little noise in the past for a Division One program.

What makes a difference for the 2026-27 season, hopefully the coach and his resume. February 1, 2026, Mark Turgeon was named head coach for the men’s basketball program. Turgeon brings over 20 years’ experience as a head coach at Wichita State, Texas A&M, Jacksonville State and Maryland. The coach has a .634 winning percentage over the total of his coaching stops. The truth of the matter I really have no idea the number of wins Kansas City Roos basketball will have by next spring. My optimism is based on the coach and the possibility he is able to turn this program around. I’d mentioned my longtime desire for a successful urban basketball program similar to those of UCLA, St. John’s or others, my belief Mark Turgeon is the man for the job.

The best trade in Laker history was…..
NBA free agency has been the mechanism for teams to acquire new talent. Free agency has changed the future outlook for a number of teams over time but its new compared to trading for roster additions. Teams will often trade a player or players in an attempt to improve the team, the Lakers have certainly utilized this process over time. I got to thinking, what do you suppose might be the best trade in Laker history, there are certainly a number of blockbuster moves to choose from. How about the trade that brought them Mychal Thompson, the center/forward was a vital cog in two NBA championships. We could look at the trade with the Bucks, the Lakers would acquire the Captain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. The Lakers already had “Batman” in the lineup, his name was Kobe Bryant they needed a Robin and that’s exactly what Pau Gasol would become.

Gasol would arrive in a trade in 2008 from the Memphis Grizzlies, 2009 and 2010 the Lakers win it all. Although they are yet to reap the ultimate reward i.e. NBA championship the trade that brought them Luka Doncic February 1, 2025, was/is of the blockbuster variety. In the summer of 1968 the Lakers acquired up till that time the most prolific scorer in NBA history Wilt Chamberlain. In closing Kobe Bean Bryant must be included in this account for one reason alone….the Lakers acquired him through a trade. In the 1996 NBA draft the Charlotte Hornets drafted Kobe with the 13th pick in the first round of that draft. His rights were traded to the Lakers in exchange for Vlade Divac. There you have it those trades (with the exception of Luka) which brought the Lakers a championship or multiple ones. Which one is the best, well for one thing I didn’t provide you the names who the Lakers traded to acquire these All Stars. With that in mind you become the judge, which in your view is the best trade in Laker history?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.